Epilogue - One Year Later

Park

The bright New York summer sun beat down on my face as I slowly made my way through Central Park. The air was still and humid and I could feel a bead of sweat rolling down my back as I walked. 

There were kids out playing and screaming with delight, accompanied by disgruntled looking parents who would have preferred to stay at home. I'd missed this, as chaotic and messy as it was. It was home. 

Kopter was already waiting outside the cafe holding two iced Chai Lattes. I waved and ran up to him, my arms outstretched. Giving the lattes a wide birth, I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug. 

"Hey there, fancy Yale boy," he murmured in my ear. "Long time no see." 

"Oh please," I scoffed, releasing his neck and smiling up at him. "I came down to NYU last weekend, and you were down visiting me the week before that. 

He smiled mischievously, "Still, it feels like years." 

I peered over his shoulder at the heavy oak doors of the cafe. 

"It's packed in there," he warned, handing me one of the cups. "I was thinking we could walk through the Park instead." 

I nodded and we began making our way though the crowds, side by side. 

"How were your finals?" 

"Not too bad," I took a sip of my coffee, "Virology was a pain in my ass, but when has it not been?" 

Kopter nodded knowledgeably. Despite not having the slightest clue what I was talking about, he always pretended to understand pre-med. I returned the favour whenever he discussed stocks in great detail. 

We continued through the park until we reached a comfortable looking bench and sat down. Kopter placed an arm around my shoulder and squeezed tight. 

"You can't keep growing your hair out like this," he sighed as he ran his fingers through my medium length hair. "Every day you become less cute and more sexy, Park. One of these days you're going to give me a heart attack and then you'll be sorry." 

"Speak for yourself, I see you're still growing out that designer stubble despite my warnings." 

He smirked, "I gotta keep up with you somehow, or you'll be out of my league completely." I hit his arm gently and then rested my head against his shoulder. 

"I guess everyones so excited for your return this summer that I'll barely get to see you." He pondered.  

"Damn right," I said pridefully, "I'm a rare commodity. I'm going to start a booking system so you'll have to act fast if you want an appointment with me."

"You promised you'll come with me to Thailand this summer." He said warningly, "If you go back on that now Mom will never forgive me." 

"My schedule is always clear for your mother," I mused. "Both out of fondness and fear." 

"But it's looking like this summer is going to be one hell of a ride. Mom and Dad have even asked to come to pride with Sunny and I this year. They've printed out matching, 'My son's gay and he's at Yale' shirts." 

I took another sip of my drink while Kopter laughed. "Definitely a step in the right direction but I'd prefer it if they didn't have to name-drop the whole Yale thing." 

We sat in silence for a few moments, quietly enjoying each others company and the sounds of the birds overhead. 

"We should go see a movie," Kopter suggested, breaking the silence. "Do you know of anything good on at the moment?" 

"Not really, I'm fine with anything except romance. Please anything but a RomCom." 

"Okay, okay," he chuckled. He leaned in and placed a single kiss on my temple. "No romance for you then." 

I looked out onto the canopy of green in front of us and smiled. 

I was loved. 

I was happy.

I was at peace.