chapter 48

"Harry" Hermione calls.

Harry is on a hospital bed and Ron's in one too, his leg getting healed.

"I saw my dad" Harry says.

"What?" Hermione asks, leaning against the bed.

"He sent the Dementors away. I saw him across the lake. Y/N did too" Harry says.

I cross my arms over my chest and look down, thinking about what I had seen.

"Listen Harry, they've captured Sirius. Any minute, the Dementors are going to perform the Kiss"

"You mean they're gonna kill him?" Harry asks as he gets up in a panic.

"No. It's worse. Much worse. They're going to suck out his soul" Hermione says, but the doors to the hospital wing open, Dumbledore standing there "Headmaster, you've got to stop them. They've got the wrong man" Hermione says as me her and Harry walk upt to Dumbledore.

"It's true, sir. Sirius is innocent"

"It's Scabbers who did it" Ron says.

"Scabbers?" Dumbledore asks, all of us turning to Ron.

"He's my rat, sir" Ron says "He's not really a rat. H- he was a rat. He was my brother Percy's rat. But then they gave him an owl-"

"Point is" Hermione interrupts "We know the truth. Please believe us"

"I do, Miss Granger. But, I'm sorry to say, the word of 4 13-year-old wizards will convince few others" Dumbledore says, then goes to Ron "A child's voice, however honest and true... Is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen" Dumbledore pets Ron's foot a few times and makes him wince, trying to reach for Dumbledore to pull his arm away, but can't. A bell suddenly rings "Mysterious thing, time. Powerful. And when meddled with, dangerous" Dumbledore starts walking to the door "Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the Dark Tower" he dramatically turns to Hermione "You know the laws, Miss Granger. You must not be seen" Dumbledore walks to Hermione slowly "And you would do well, I feel, to return before this last chime. If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss. If you succeed tonight... More than one innocent life may be spared. 3 turns should do it, I think" he half winks at Hermione a few times, then heads for the door, but just before he closes it, he opens it again "Oh, by the way. When in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin. Good luck" he says, then closes the door.

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Ron asks.

"Sorry, Ron, but seeing as you can't walk..." Hermione starts but stops.

She pulls out a necklace from under her hoodie and puts it around the 3 of our heads, playing with it. Harry's about to touch it but Hermione slaps his hand away.

She presses the side of it 3 times, the middle of the necklace, which looks like an hour glass, spinning as me and Harry look around, everything going backwards in fast forward.

There are people moving around and students coming in and out, then day seeps through the windows. I look back to where Ron is, but he's not there.

I turn to Harry and look at him, confused as Hermione takes the necklace off us, shoving it back underneath her hoodie.

"What just happened? Where's Ron?" Harry asks.

"7:30. Where were we at 7:30?" Hermione asks, turning to us.

"I don't know" Harry says.

"Going to Hagrid's?" I suggest, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Come on, and we can't be seen" Hermione says, taking both of our hands.