11.12

Meredith stood in front of the OR board, filling in her surgery for later, as Helena approached her

"Hey." She let out. "I just got out of the OR. Did it miss it?"

"No, you're good." The blond told her.

"I just finished my corpectomy." Amelia greeted. "Did I miss it?"

"We're good." Helena told her, just as Meredith's phone pinged.

"Wow, that was fast." She let out.

"What was fast?" Her sister in law asked.

"I put out feelers with a real estate agent about the house." Meredith explained. "Looks like I got an offer."

"You're selling the house?" Both brunette doctors asked.

"No. I don't know. Maybe." She shrugged.

"Why do people constantly feel the need to kill their arteries?" Maggie asked, moving to change the OR board.

"Are they here yet?" Callie asked them. "Oh, did I miss it? Tell me I didn't miss it."

"I almost forgot!" Maggie let out.

"I can't wait to see the beads of sweat on their freaked-out little faces." Callie smiled.

"Did I miss it?" Alex asked them.

"No." Helena told him.

"I want to see someone crap. Actually crap." Alex wished.

"Seen it." Callie nodded. "Smelled it. Not as fun as you'd think."

"Oh, come on. You're just mean, all of you." Helena shook her head. "We should be exited for them, encouraging. Those kids are the future of surgery. The future of this hospital. They're eager to learn, and motivated, and not yet desensitized to all the death... it's exciting. Not an opportunity to wish public humiliation on them."

"It's happening!" Arizona almost sang, walking down the hall. "The baby chicks and ducks are here!"

"See, that's what I mean." She pointed out, with a smile, moving to follow the blond.

——

"Each of you today comes here hopeful, wanting in on the game." Richard told the new interns, as the group watched from the gallery, mouthing the words. "A month ago you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The five years you spend here as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your lives." A girl raised her hand, making him ask. "You have a question?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Uh, you raised your hand..." He furrowed his brows.

"No, I'm sorry. I mean why will these be the best and worst years of our lives?" She asked.