July: The Big Bang

Daphne POV

  "Come on Bubba," I call out in an effort to urge Dodger to hurry up with his business. I was already running late, to no one's surprise I'm sure. But I was suppose to pick up Oliver and Hazel ten minutes ago.

  Dodger finally comes barreling through the sliding glass door running straight for the kitchen where I stood. "We gotta load the car and go bud," I tell him while walking over to close the back door.

  I grab the picnic basket along with the small cooler. Dodger follows me through the door that leads to the garage. He waits patiently by the backseat door. I load the items into the trunk and then open his door for him. He jumps up and quickly makes himself comfortable. With my phone in my hand I shoot a quick message letting Hazel know I'm on my way.

   On a normal day I can get to their house in five minutes but because of the holiday everybody and their brother are heading towards the airstrip in Hilliard. Thankfully before I get too far Hazel tells me they'll meet me in the church parking lot and go from there.

  I pull up next to their car and pop my trunk. Oliver tosses in a couple of blankets and another cooler. Hazel climbs into the passenger seat. "How are you feeling, mama?" I ask.

  "Exhausted. Your nephew has already started keeping me up at night," Hazel complains. "He really likes using my bladder as a pillow."

  I smile back at her as I lean down closer to her stomach. "Be nice to your mama, mister man."

  Oliver hopped in the back next to Dodger and we start our journey to the airstrip. "At least you're half way there," I remind them both.

   Hazel nods in agreement. "That is true.  I'm just ready to have some of that extra energy I've read about. At this rate I'm not sure I'll ever hit that point."

I grab her hand in mine and give it a small squeeze. "Let me know what I can do to help. You know I'll do whatever I can."

She nods back at me before Oliver chimes in. "Great! Can you come cut the grass, clean out the gutters, maybe cook?"

Glaring at him through the rear view mirror, "are your arms broken? You can do the yard work. I'm happy to help with some meals though." I look back over at Hazel. "I can make extra a couple nights a week and send them your way."

"That would be helpful, Daphne. Thank you," Hazel says genuinely.

Traffic has come to a stop as we are now about a half a mile from our destination. We continue moving at a start and stop pace for the next fifteen minutes, until we finally pull into the large airstrip area. I follow the event coordinators to my parking space. Once I've parked Ollie sends a text to James to find out their location.

I attach Dodger's leash to his collar to make sure he stays with the family and doesn't become too crazy. I've also brought his compression shirt just in case he needs it during the fireworks. Chris says he's usually okay but I didn't want to take any chances.

Hazel grabs the blankets while Ollie takes both coolers. With the leash in one hand and the picnic basket in my other we set forth in the direction James mentioned.

It takes us a few more minutes to reach the location James mentioned as the area is very crowded and Dodger can't help but stop and sniff along the way. I can't really blame him as the smell of burgers and hotdogs surround us.

   The closer we get I can finally spot Sarah and Ellie running around squealing as they chase the bubbles Rene has blown for them. Apparently Dodger spots them as well and attempts to take off, dragging me behind him. The sudden jerk of the leash causes me to stumble and trip over the concrete. I land on my hands and knees trying desperately to keep hold of the leash but it slips through my fingers.