A poem

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I was holding Roe in my arms as I walked towards the stables. I had told her I was taking her to some place special and the only way to get there is by horse. She got all excited cause she was going to ride a horse with me. We arrived at the stables and she got even more excited as she saw which horse we where going to take. Waiting patiently was an older chestnut horse. "Blue eye!" Roe yelled pointing at the mare.

When she met the mare she had asked what her name was, I had told her she didnt have a name

When she met the mare she had asked what her name was, I had told her she didnt have a name. She gave me an annoyed look before basically scolding me at not naming the poor thing. So I gave her the opportinuty to name her and she picked the name Blue Eye. It was obvious why she picked the name. Cause the mare had one blue eye.

(Roe's P.O.V.)
I giggled as Blue Eye lowered her head so I could pet her. Dad lifted me up higher and placed me on Blue Eye's back. Soon after I was seated he got on aswell. "Hold onto the rope" he said motioning to the rope that was loosely hanging around Blue Eye's neck. I nodded and grabbed a hold of it while he grabbed the reins. I heard dad click his tongue from behind me and Blue Eyes moved forward. I really enjoyed the ride. We rode through the forest, across the dunes that looked over the manmade river and eventually we rode through the plains. "We're almost there" dad said behind me. I turned my head to look at him and he smilled down at me. He moved his body down before pointing forward. "See the big oaktree that is standing there all alone in the distance?" He asked, I squeezed my eyes so I coupd focus on the tree that stood tall on the horizon. Then I nodded telling him I saw it, "that's where we are headed". It took some time before we arrived at the tree. "Whoah" he said stopping Blue Eye. He soon got of her back before helping me from the chestnut's back.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I put Roe down before taking her hand in mine and guiding her to the tree. "this is the place your father adored. He always dreamed of bringing you here one day" I told her as we continued walking towards the lonely tree. "Just the two of you. Enjoying the sun and listening to the crickets chirping in the grass" I said looking down at her. As we neared the big old oak tree a gravestone appeared. "Hello old friend" I said to the gravestone in front of me and I smiled a sad smile. I squatted down to her height and looked her in the eyes. "We where told that he was burried in France. But we still gave him a grave here, at home. Cause that's what he would have wanted". She turned to look at the stone that was engraved with the text.

♧《Beloved husband and father》♧
Steve Eden
♧《June 7th 1889 - August 14th 1916》♧

I watched Roe carefully walk towards the stone. Just like she does when the rain travels down the cold window, she now traced her father's name with her finger. I opened my jacket to pull out a photo and showed it too Roe. It was a picture of her father and me during our war time. "Here" I said and handed it to her. She gave me a look before taking the picture in her hands. She examined it before pulling it to her chest hugging it. "You're father also wrote this" I tol her and grabbed the last ever letter he wrote.

My sweet little Roe
Though I must leave you behind me,
This poem will tell you where you can always find me.
When a gentle wind blows, thats my hand on your face.
And when the tree gives you shade, that's my sheltering embrace.
When the sun gives gives you warm kisses on ypur skin, that me tickeling my girl.
When the rain wets your hair, those are my tears of joy.
When the tall grass enfolds you, thats me holding you ever so tight.
So when you cant see me, just remember that I will always see you.
But for now, run along and I will see you soon.

I read to her. She smiled at me before running of to find something. She soon came back with a yellow flower in her hand. She stepped next to me and lwe both ooked down at her father's grave.

I let put a sigh while she let go of my hand to put the flower she picked on her father's grave

I let put a sigh while she let go of my hand to put the flower she picked on her father's grave. "Goodbye daddy" she said before kissing the stone. She turned to me and quickly ran to me and hugged me. I picked her up and carried her back to Blue Eye as I heard her softly whimper. From then on I made a promise to go to Steve's resting place every month together with Roe and I kept that promise for years to come.

Published: 26th of September 2021