Stargazing

Xela

After I got out of the shower I put on one of Xander's t shirts he left me and a pair of his shorts that were way too big.

I tied a knot in the drawstrings and hoped for the best, then put on socks since I hate walking around barefoot.

My hair was stringy and wet so I pulled it back into a low loose braid. Glancing at the nightstand, I read that it was 2 minutes past when Ryder told me to meet him.

I went into the hallway and saw him leaning against the wall, his hair wet and him wearing a loose fit t shirt and shorts.

"You're late" he says, walking towards me. "I couldn't figure out how to work the shower." I admitted. He grabbed my hand and led me down the hallway, "Can you please tell me where you are—"

I stopped talking when Ryder stopped and gave me a glare telling me to just be quiet. I rolled my eyes and let him take me up a set of stairs that I wasn't even aware of.

We went up several sets of stairs until we were on the roof of the mansion. The chilly air took me by surprise. Ryder walked ahead of me and sat down, rolling onto his back so he was laying on the floor. "You coming?" He asks, tapping the floor next to him.

"You're stupid." I laugh, knowing he is mocking me. I lay down next to him and take in the stars that are above us. There is no light save for the full moon which illuminates the roof.

"It's amazing" I say, my voice just above a whisper. The starts are barely dulled by light since Ryder lives in a secluded area, giving a spectacular view.

"That's Mars" Ryder says, lifting his arm and pointing to one of the brightest stars. "I didn't know you were into astronomy."

He laughs, "I'm not. I guess you could just say I come up here a lot."

I turn and look at him, making him laugh when he realizes what I'm thinking. "I've never brought a girl here." He tells me.

We sit in silence for a few seconds, taking in the breeze and the sounds of nature surrounding us.

"Tell me something about yourself" Ryder says, catching me off guard.

I take a second to think, which self? A girl who tries too hard to be badass and act like nothing bothers her, or the girl who plays dolls with Penny on the streets.

I sigh, "That star is mine" I say, pointing to a dull speck of light. "Aliza, her little sister, and I loved looking at the sky so much we saved $25 up and bought one online." I almost laugh hearing how ridiculous it was. "I mean we were starving and homeless but at least our only cash went to good use."

Ryder bursts out laughing, "You bought a fucking star? With your only money?"

"I was thirteen!" I defend myself.

"What about you?" I ask, rolling into onto my side and looking at the boy next to me. He does the same.

"I'm a gang leader." He says, dead serious.

I'm completely thrown off guard until he smirks and winks, "Gosh Ryder" I laugh, "Can't you be serious?"

He laughs, "Okay, okay." He takes a second to think, "How about you ask me a question this is too hard."

I roll my eyes, "What kind of question?"

He grins, "Any dirty secrets you were dying to know about me?"

I playfully hit him, "You're full of yourself"

I think for a moment, "Have you ever had a girlfriend?" The words come out before I can stop them. Shit did I really just say that??

"Never." He says, shocking me. "The infamous bad boy has never had a girlfriend?" I tease him.

"Just because I've never had a girlfriend doesn't mean I haven't fu-

"Okay next question" I cut him off, not wanting to know about his sex life.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

I'm about to say no until I remember a fling I had with Tread when we were 15. He must have noticed my pause because he makes a face at me. "Well not really." I respond.

"What does 'not really' mean?"

I shrug, "Tread and I went out a few years ago but that's all."

Ryder's face is straight and almost...bothered?

Is he jealous?

"Why so upset?" I tease him. "I'm not." He responds, too quickly. I burst out laughing, "What so you can try to fill me in on the girls you've slept with but you hearing I had a boyfriend when I was 15 makes you grumpy?"

"So funny" he says sarcastically when I can't stop laughing. He rolls over and climbs on top of me, making me stop immediately.

"What's your dad like?" I ask, not knowing where it came from. I guess I've always been curious about a normal father child relationship.

Sure, I had a great life with my dad for a few years, but that's a blur now.

He takes a breath, "My real dad was a jerk. I loved him but I couldn't stand him half the time."

"My dad now is amazing, though. Even though we aren't blood related, he is all I could have asked for." I smiled hearing this, glad that Ryder can have someone like that with him.

"He would like you." Ryder adds.

Silence falls upon us and his lips are just centimeters away, so close if I tilted my head forward they would touch.

Before I can even think, Ryder's lips hit mine. I've kissed a boy before, I've kissed Ryder before, but this is different. His hands tangled in my hair, and I could barely even gather a thought together.

"Shit!" A voice from far away makes Ryder and I both freeze. He sits up and looks around us, just as confused as I am.

"Who the hell is there?" He yells out.

I hear footsteps followed by Blake and Denny shuffling out from the shadows, "Don't be mad" Denny says.

Ryder looks pissed that we were interrupted, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. I sit up, "We saw a motion sensor go off so we were coming to check on it" Blake explains.

"Go" Ryder demands them, and neither of them protest.

"We should probably go in too" I say. Not that I'm not enjoying my time out here with Ryder, but a part of me is scared he will expect me to sleep with him. I mean not that I don't want to, but it's too soon.

"Yeah I guess it late huh?" He agrees, standing up. I give him a smile, thankful that he always makes me feel comfortable.