.2. bbq

a/n: i'm going to avoid giving dream's sibling names.. Im just going to call them brother and drista i think (and i'll figure something out if we bring up his oldest sister)

I walk up the familiar drive of Clay's house. His mom planted pink flowers that line up the sidewalk to their door.

I remember one spring when I came over to hang out with Clay, but he was busy doing something else. I didn't want to go home yet, so I stayed and helped his mom plant yellow flowers up the drive. It took up over two hours to do, but in the end it was worth it.

I knock on the door with my same, basic knock that I've always used. It swings open and I'm met with a blonde teenager.

"y/n!" she runs to give me a hug.

"Drista!" I say as I hold her tightly. I haven't seen her in a year and a half, so she looks so much older, "oh my gosh you look like a teenager,"

She laughs, "Well that's how growing up works,"

I roll my eyes, "Then stop it,"

She leads me into the kitchen, where a woman was making something at the counter. She turns around to give me a smile.

"y/n! We missed you so much!" Clay's mom brings me into a hug. I smile as she gives me a tight squeeze, "Clay is going to love to see you."

I laugh. Clay's mom has wanted Clay and I to date since we were seventeen. She's decided that we're meant to be.

I've learned way too much about that boy for me to ever date him.

I follow Clay's mom and sister out of the house and into the backyard. I frown as I notice the old treehouse we built all those years ago isn't there anymore. It was probably too old to be considered safe anymore, but it's still a part of my childhood nonetheless.

I scan the backyard for a tall, familiar face.

Small groups are gathered throughout the yard as little kids run in between them. Other people stand off to the side in doubles or by themselves.

A tall figure from one group turns around. I instantly recognize the blonde man.

"y/n?" he calls out.

I smile as I make my way over to him, "Hi Clay,"

He walks over and pulls me into a tight hug. He smells different. I remember he always smelled like laundry detergent. Now he smells like cologne. It doesn't smell bad. I just was expecting the same thing, I guess. 

People change y/n. You don't wear the same perfume anymore.

"How are you?" he asks through my hair that his head is buried in.

"I'm great," I laugh, pulling away "how are you?"

"Amazing now that you're here," he says, "Did you talk to mom? She's been dying to see you. And Drista too." He starts to lead me to a cooler of drinks.

"They were my first stop. I have my priorities." I accept as he hands me my favorite drink without having to ask.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," he leads me to a small table they have set up in their yard.

"What are you even doing in Florida? Shouldn't you be in Texas?" he asks as he sits down.

I bite my lip, "Just wanted a change for a little bit. One kind of heat for a different one."

He smiles, shaking his head a little, "You did always hate the cold,"

"Always have and always will," I take a sip of the drink in my hand.