Take Care Of You

"What was so scary about it?"

Melinda entered the court room. Clarke holding the door open for her. She paused in the doorway looking around. Where the fuck were her two guards at? Robert's new lawyer she expected. Not the lack of security. Looking to her lawyer he mirrored her confusion. Leading her down the walk way he kept her to the side and far from the opposing side. Robert's amused eyes following them.

"Where are the guards?" Melinda whispered, taking her seat she didn't look Robert's way.

"I don't know. I'll find out." Clarke answered, sitting down as well. After a few minutes of tense silence the judge entered. Melinda's frown deepened, who the fuck was this white man? Her judge was a woman.

"Excuse my tardy entrance. This case was literally slapped in my hand a few minutes ago." He spoke aloud, taking his seat.

"Excuse me your honor. With all due respect, why was our previous judge changed." Clarke spoke up, the judge cut his eyes at Clarke. He clearly didn't want to be here anyways.

"Asking me questions I don't have an answer to. Please give me a few minutes to familiarize myself." He spat, attitude in his tone as he flipped through the case file. Melinda felt a tick of anger forming as he just flipped carelessly. Not even reading fully what was there. When he did look up he looked to Mel then Robert.

"Unfortunately anything previously agreed on has no stand here. Your court process has essentially been restarted. But I did read these opening statements and those will stand." He spoke up, Mel gaped at him.

"Your honour, my client would feel more comfortable with the additional presence of two bailiffs. I understand the measures of a new judge, we would like to request that now." Clarke spoke up.

"For Mrs. Gayle? Says here she was arrested on domestic assault charges. Is the protection for her or him?" The judge responded, Robert let out a chuckle. This was comical and just what he needed.

"My client and I believe the request is idiotic. My client is more than happy to cooperate without the intimidation of Mrs. Gayle." Robert lawyer spoke.

"Intimidation?!" Mel spat, getting a look if warning from the judge.

"With all respect Sir, Mr. Gayle was arrested for trespassing and harassment. Which led to the restraining order. There's also a statement from the responding officers on file. It reads as following. Upon arrival we were aware of the suspect beating on the window of the victims car. Shouting that she open the door. Victim was in said vehicle and looking in hysterics. Upon requesting the suspect to back down and scalp, he became increasingly irate. Officers had to draw weapons to get cooperation. Victim was very shaken and in tears. Was released with a close friend." Clarke read, reciting word for word. The judge flipped through the files frowning. Obviously having missed that in his skimming.

"Forgive me for missing that."

I was getting so pissed off. Here this man was right out the gate thinking I'm abusive. I could see mad black woman painted in his massa eyes. To top it off Robert keep glancing over all smug. Telling me with his eyes he was the cause of this. I was intimidating? What about his ass!

"So he's requesting 2.5 million and a home. Hmmm? Well I can tell you right now Mr. Gayle. This house is listed as an asset, but with the history of her maiden name Moore. You have no grounds to cease. Married or not, it was an asset before marriage." The judge spoke, going ahead and nipping that in the bud.

"What do you mean!? Our assets are shared!" Robert erupted.

"Anymore outbursts like that I'll hold you in contempt. Consult with your council Mr. Gayle. Now like I said no grounds. Mrs. Gayle you are requesting.....nothing but some rights to a battery?"