Pt 5 Chapter 8 - A hope and a promise

3 weeks later...

Y/n's POV

Tony moved into the compound and together we all got to work on building the time machine. The dynamics of the group were still a little shakey as Tony tried to take charge but with Bruce's new found confidence and strong personalities like Rocket's there were a few squabbles here and there. Rocket was only called a degrading name once or twice but usually Thor sort of stuck up for him. Thor was just observing for the most part, he still seemed particularly unmotivated and rather unhelpful. Although every now and then when he lifted his glasses I could see the odd glimmer of our old friend returning.

It Crazy to think, but in the workshop we were building a giant machine we could use to travel back in time. I tried not to get my hopes up too much but I knew that Nat was crossing all her fingers. There was hidden motivation inside her that I was yet to understand but I also knew that eventually the truth would reveal itself and that I would just need to wait until she was ready to share.

Nat and Haz were on lunch duty, making an array of excellently prepared sandwiches or pastas. My wife was an excellent cook and Harriet was taking after her mother as she helped to make a delicious chocolate cake. Tony and Rocket were building, with Thor as their very supportive audience and the rest of us were working on the time travel suits. I walked in after a slight lay in, just as Scott was coming back to a normal size.

"One test run." He said to Bruce. Clint was lent in the doorway. Rhodey sighed and shook his head, presumably Scott had done something wrong.

"All right. I'm not ready for this." Scott was sort of bouncing on the spot and he looked nervous.

"I'm game." Clint said plainly. "I'll do it."

"Are you sure?" Scott frowned.

"Yeah, what's the worse that can happen?" Clint sighed.

"Um. I don't know. Being lost in time forever?" I chuckled. I had forgotten they were test running the machine this morning.

"Not helping Y/n." Nebula rolled her eyes at me. I raised my hands in playful surrender.

"What does it matter?" Clint shrugged, walking forward.

"Right. Um ok." Scott nodded. Rhodey helped him out of the suit and helped Clint into it. I jogged to go and get Nat. They were in the living room watching the morning cartoons as Harriet ate her breakfast. Nat had a coffee and was wearing one of my t-shirts under her jacket. .

"Barton's doing the test run. Dunno if you want to come." I panted, having sprinted up the stairs. We'd kind of forgotten about keeping fit during all the busy activity so my cardio wasn't quite up to scratch. Nat immediately put down her mug and ran to where they were doing the test. Harriet jumped up off the sofa and put her bowl down on the coffee table. She ran over to me and took my hand tightly. I smiled down at her before picking her up and throwing her onto my back. I jogged downstairs with her squealing excitedly in my ear. Her hair flew around all over the place as I spun through the door.

I joined the others in the test station. Nebula was programming something.

"Clint. Now you're going to feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about that." Bruce told him and he nodded, looking quite carefree.

"Wait a second. Let me ask you something." Rhodey frowned. "If we can do this, you know, go back in time. Why don't we just find baby Thanos? You know, and..." He moved his hand across his throat, symbolising we could kill the baby Thanos. I let out a small laugh and Nebula glared at me.

"First of all, that's horrible-" Bruce looked at Rhodey with concern.

"It's Thanos." Rhodey tried to reason.