Chapter 3: I Will Not Back Down

NOTE: This is rose. As much as possible, we'll try a weekly release of both the main chapters and the 0.5/side chapters. Hope you enjoy this one. Have a rose ✿

As of April 22, 2022, this chapter has been rewritten

・・・

Central Calendar 19/04/1639, Higashinohate Castle, Higashinohate, Kingdom of Fenn, 8:40

The chilly early morning breeze blew in from the ocean, bringing with them the gentle waves that crashed directly into the wharves of the quaint town of Higashinohate. Situated at the kingdom of Fenn's easternmost point, the town was destined to be the entrance to the rest of the kingdom to those coming from the east. That was the purpose of their sizable harbor, after all. However, in the countless centuries that Fenn had been a coherent sovereign state, the town of Higashinohate never reached the traffic it had been destined for, receiving only a handful of traders each lunar cycle, most of which were those who blew off course or were looking for safe harbor.

With economic activity brimming in western ports like Nishinomiyako, the comparatively quiet eastern port was mostly desolate, being home to only a modest population of 5,000, the majority of which are fishermen and their households. Despite this lack of relevance in seemingly every single aspect, the town was home to the region's lord, and as such a majestic castle befitting an aristocrat towered above its otherwise boring skyline. Its oriental black roofing complemented its stylic, yet robust structure painted in magnificent white.

It was atop the keep of this castle where the regional lord, Amaya, looked out from a window towards the port. Despite the Japanese-feel of the architecture, the Fennese did not shy from assimilating things foreign, and this was reflected in Amaya's appearance. Still keeping the traditional curved blade bestowed upon him by the Sword King in its scabbard on his hip, his loose white blouse and darkened, western-looking slacks were weird additions. He looked just like a loyal swordsman of the late shogunate at the height of the Meiji Restoration.

"What a morning..."

Amaya spat from behind his heavy sigh, his eyes set on the intrusive silhouette of an overly conspicuous white ship stopped at a distance just shy of Higashinohate's harbor.

"What the hell... am I looking at?"

More suspicious than perplexed, he scanned the massive vessel. While it was indeed a sailless ship, the only people he knew who operated sailless ships were the Parpaldians. However, the vessel, while alien indeed, gave him clues and an impression that they were not from the dreaded imperialists to the west. It emitted no black smoke, had no guns in its hull, and above all, it did not fly the imperial red and gold. Instead, it flew an unfamiliar banner of red and white, one which Amaya had never seen before.

He hesitated.

He was suspicious of the vessel's intent, but he was well aware of the consequences of what would happen on his orders. Then again, he also knew the risks that came with inaction, for in the Fennese code of conduct–the way of the warrior–did not restrain them to defensive behavior, but it does actively prohibit one from being rash. But then the vessel did not exhibit hostile behavior, although he does not know if it was simply holding back. As his thoughts continue to clash violently, the sound of the room's sliding door opening prompts him to cease his brooding.

Turning to face the door, he was helped to the sight of a burly man in sailor's garb, but he was no trader, for his hip was also adorned with the elegant scabbard of a traditional Fennese sword. Even though he did not know the man, he knew that he was a fellow Fennese official. Still, the other man had stepped into his domain, so the burden of respect was not Amaya's to shoulder.