Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty - The Missing

*Unknown*

"I need you to do something for me."

I shiver at the sudden and intrusive sound that seemed to suddenly appear in my ear. My eyes fall to the ground before looking over towards the voice and meeting their crimson gaze.

"Y-yes?" I didn't mean for my voice to tremble, but if the rumor about them were true, they wouldn't hesitate to rip me limb from limb.

"I need you and your little friend to go grab a few people for me," he reached into their pocket and handed me a crumpled piece of paper.

"W-why do you need th-them?" My eyes flutter to the ball of paper before meeting his steely gaze once more.

"Don't ask questions, just do it. He wants them here within the next two days."

They turn around and begin to march back to the group, their fists clenched by their sides as they saw the destruction that the rest of the group was leaving. Cars were overturned, and burning. People were dead on the street, their bodies sloppily littered around. A few who were still alive were screaming for their lives, trying- and failing- to fight off the hungry vampires that surrounded them. Kristie and her group were too busy tormenting some woman to the side to notice what was happening around them.

Riley surely wouldn't be happy with their lack of leadership.

"Wait!" I internally cringe as I helplessly call out after him.

"What?" He turns on his heels and looks back at me with an expectant look, completely unimpressed with me. "What could you possibly need?"

"How do I bring them here?" I shove the paper into my pocket as I straighten my shoulders, trying to portray some semblance of confidence.

"I don't care, just do it."

With those wonderfully comforting words, he turned back on his heels and begins to shout at the large group of vampires.

I bite my bottom lip, pulling the paper from my pocket and uncrumpling it to the best of my ability. My eyes read and reread the two names that were scribbled into the paper. An eyebrow-raising in curiosity as I stared at the second name on the list, my interest and infatuation growing.

"This is going to be fun," I mutter, crumpling the paper back up and turning towards a few of my allies, a smile plastering onto my face as I saunter over towards them. "Hey, guys, who's up for a little trip?"

Genevieve Cullen
Theodore Sallow

______________________

It was easy enough to grab them, they were too distracted by their conversation to hear us, or at least they didn't seem to care about our presence. Too lost in their little love-filled world to care, I suppose.

"Jamie and I'll take Genevieve," the blonde girl said, sneering, as though saying her name physically disgusted her. "Why don't you two grab him."

I hadn't bothered to learn anyone's name, assuming that they'd all be dead within a few weeks. That's what's happened to the last three friends that I had attempted to make, anyways. I had learned quickly after their mysterious deaths that flying solo was a better, safer, way to go about surviving.

"Fine," I huffed and looked over at my nameless friend, nodding my head in acknowledgment of the prearranged plan that we had come up with. "On three we'll all go, yeah?"