chapter thirteen.

Soft skin.

It was all I could feel with my eyes closed. Not only was it underneath my body, but I could feel it underneath my fingertips too. Even though my mind was creeping out of slumber, my fingertips slowly circled on the soft skin beneath me, totally and blissfully unaware of my true actions.

A large palm tightening around my hip was what truly woke me. The warmth sizzling onto my skin from its comforting movements, a hand on my hip that kneaded my skin from time to time. I furrowed my brows, feeling far too comfortable to open my eyes fully but wondering what the soft sensation I'd embarked on was.

I peeped an eye open, hoping that my surroundings would give me some sort of direction as to what time it was. As my vision settled on the gloomy morning light shining through from the window before me, a chest rested in my peripheral vision. Which only spurred me to lift my head slightly from its warm positioning, and realise that my fingertips had been frolicking through the sparse hairs on an extremely chiseled chest that— as I traveled my eyes up further, realised belonged to Harry.

"Shit." I whispered to myself.

Somehow I'd forgotten all about our interaction of late last night, or forgotten in a sense where Harry's body— which I'd managed to snuggle up to at some time during the night— had been just so comfortable that it had the ability to rid my mind of his presence in the first place. My body could feel his own underneath me, the way my leg had hitched up to rest on his thighs, how our feet had tangled into one another and how my hair had probably sprawled along his neck.

I lowered my head back down to his chest, stiffening my body as I realised the unbelievable actions my body had decided to take without my knowledge. I knew Harry and I had agreed last night that sleeping in the same bed would not have been weird, but it hadn't been in the terms and conditions that we would have woken up like this and things would still be merry. I hoped they would. I hoped that things would still be okay and that I hadn't crossed some sort of invisible line that I wasn't aware of.

I scolded the part of my mind that liked how domesticated the position we were in felt. It wasn't supposed to feel like anything, because it wasn't anything, and because my mind had betrayed me in thinking that I could do this, and not make it weird.

What had I been thinking? I was sure I hadn't been thinking at all. The internal battle continued within the walls of my mind, a habit of mine that was never beneficial, though I felt it had to be done anyway.

A small movement came from under me, a low groan sounding from Harry as he stirred his upper body slightly, causing his hand to tighten even further on the curve of my hip. Though within what felt like seconds, he stopped, the little snores sounding once again. I let out a huff, unaware of how I was supposed to get out of this situation.

Was it rude of me to sneak out? I definitely thought so. Was I supposed to wake him up? My anxiety bubbled through me at that thought and how embarrassing that would have been for me. It was a situation I had never been in before and I felt stupid in not knowing how to handle it properly.

"I thought we weren't going to make it weird."

My breathing came to a halt at Harry's unexpected words. His voice so raspy and low due to the morning atmosphere. I'd hoped he hadn't been awake this whole time, if so, he really would have witnessed my internal conflict and noticed my failure in not being able to make a decision. My pale pink nails sat on his chest, a refreshing comparison to his golden skin.

"We aren't." I mumbled, trying to keep my body as still as possible as Harry motioned his. His movements felt antsy, yet slow all at the same time as he separated his thighs in the slightest. A subtle move that led me to shift my leg, hoping my positioning wasn't uncomfortable for him. Though as I made the movement— the tiny, careful movement, I realised my leg had been hitched so high that my knee came to rest gently on his crotch. I knew this because of the hardness I felt beneath me, a bulge that I was so oblivious to. I stilled my actions immediately, not caring about the red that had now graced my cheeks because I knew Harry couldn't see my face.