CHAPTER XXXV

(First of all, yes, I'm alive. And I do have an explanation for not updating for so long. But read the chapter first)

Strike of the apocalypse
The second coming is impending

SAPPHIRE

It had been a week since Markus's murder. The pack was slowly getting back on its schedule. Moving on as if nothing had happened. Lionel and some of the other high ranking wolves were continuing the investigation. But, I could tell that they were losing interest. Every lead was a dead end. Where was I in all this? I was carrying out my own investigation, one which probably wasn't a dead end. The only catch? It involved someone I trusted.

I walked silently through the corridor, trying to be inconspicuous. I clutched my weapon tighter. That thing would probably help me a lot, in both the best and the worst case scenarios. The clock chimed three just as I reached the door I needed. I put my least threatening stance and knocked on the door.

It took Rosa about ten seconds to open the door. And there she stood in her red-head glory, with her hair in curlers. She looked a bit taken aback to see me there but smiled nevertheless. 

"Hey, Sapphire... wasn't really expecting you-" here eyes zoomed in on my weapon of success, "Wait, is that tequila?"

"Freshly stolen from Lionel's stash of boozers. I need a drinking buddy and girl talk. May I come in?" I asked her.

"Yeah, girl talk, come on in." she said stepping aside for me to enter. Her room was made almost exactly like mine, except for the permanent pink haze of make up in the air.

"I'm afraid, I can't really be a drinking buddy at the moment. I'm not much into day drinking despite tequila being my favourite." said Rosa, her smile unfaltering. That piqued my interest. Was she purposely avoiding getting drunk? I guess, she already suspected my game. I let it go unnoticed though. My weapon of sedation had failed. Plan B: this would be a perfectly conscious confession.

"Fine by me. You can deliver my drunken body to Lionel later, then." I said chugging a long sip of the alcohol. I hated it, but this mission required discretion.

"Fair enough." Rosa shrugged, taking a seat on the bed. 

"So, what's on your mind?" she asked me.

"Okay, so according to you... what does a guy acting weird and avoiding you after a first date mean?" I said. It was trues. Lionel had been avoiding me for the past few days. He wouldn't meet my eyes. We had barely talked, all of them being formal conversations regarding the ongoing investigation. 

"What is he, like giving you the go by or something?"

"I don't know... he's just distant and he's overworking himself. I'm leaving for Maeonia in a week for patching up the defences and I thought its because of that. But he just won't talk to me about it." I gushed out.

Rosa thought for while. Meanwhile, I considered how I was going to redirect the conversation in my desired direction. 

"On a completely unrelated topic... did you guys have sex?" said Rosa. I admit it. That question caught me off guard. I blinked twice before answering.

"Does my neck carry bite marks?!" 

"Werewolves don't mark each other every time we have sex." Rosa gave me a sly smile "Although, I do remember spotting some hickeys that day."

No my face didn't immediately go red.

"Anyway, topic change-" I tried to speak.

"Oh, you're so not getting away with this! What did you do?"