Chapter 32

Previously on Chapter 31

I let out a sigh. First Katara and Sokka... now these two tribes. Can't we just have one journey without these kind of things? We can never be peaceful, can we? Of course we can... when the war is over. To do that, Aang and I have to master the other elements in order to be able to put an end to this chaos.

-Crossing The Canyon-

Y/N P.O.V

I watch the two sides fighting. What can Aang and I do to stop these people from arguing. It's suppose to be our job as the Avatars. I think about it, trying my hardest to get an idea.

I jump when there's suddenly a loud sound. I turn my head to see a man. One look from him I can tell he's an earth-bender. So the sound must be coming from him. Which means he's the canyon guide.

"Sorry about the wait, youngsters. Who's ready to cross this here canyon?" He said. "Uh, one of them, I think" Katara said, gesturing towards the two tribes. The Gan Jin tribesman rushes forward.

"I was here first! My party's on their way" he said. "I can't guide people who aren't here" the canyon guide said, looking apologetically at the man. "Guess you guys will have to make the trip tomorrow" Zhang leader said.

"Wait! Here they come!" The Gan Jin tribesman said while pointing at a certain direction. I turn my head to see a group of people dressing with similar clothes with him.

"You're not seriously gonna cave into these spoiled Gan Jins? I mean we're refugees too! And we've got sick people that need shelter!" Zhang leader said. "I- Uh... well" the guide stuttered out. "We've got old people who are weary from traveling" the Gan Jin tribesman said.

"Suck people get priority over old people" Zhang leader said. "Maybe you Zhangs wouldn't have so many sick people if you weren't such slobs!" Gan Jin leader said. "If you Gan Jins weren't so clean, you wouldn't live to be so old" Gan Jin leader said. I let out a sigh at these two tribes. They wouldn't stop, would they?

"Well... Aang, Y/N? Ready to put your peace-making skills to the test?" Katara said, to Aang and I. "I don't know... a fight over chores is one thing..." Aang said. "But these people have been feuding for a hundred years..." I said, agreeing with Aang. Katara sighs and steps up anyway.

"Everybody listen up! These are the Avatars, and if you give them a chance, I'm sure they can come up with a compromise that will make everyone happy" she said. They stay quiet and wait for Aang and I to start talking.

Aang turns to look at me. "Uhh... you could share the earth-bender and travel together?" I suggested, awkwardly. "Absolutely not! We'd rather be taken by the Fire Nation than traveling with those stinking thieves" Gan Jin leader yelled, making me flinch at his sudden raise in voice. Oh sheeesh... that was only a suggestion, no need to bite my head off.

The Zhang leader sends death glares the Gan Jin Leader. "We wouldn't travel with those pompous fools anyway!" He said. They begin to shout at one another.

I let out a sigh, knowing they wouldn't stop. I turn my head to look at my brother. "Aang? Little help?" I said. He turns to look at me and sighs too. "Alright! Here's the deal! You're all going down together and Appa here will take your ill and elderly across! Does that seem fair?!" He yelled. Both leaders nods their heads in agreement. Finally!

We help the elderly and ill tribes members to get on Appa. They sit across each other with gaps between them. I wonder what makes these two tribes hated each other in the first place.

"Sorry, Appa. You'll have to do this on your own..." Aang said. "Aang... Y/N... this feuding tribe stuff is serious business. Are you two sure it's a good idea getting involve in this?" Sokka said, looking at us with a worried expression.

Aang and I look at each other. He lets out a sighs and turn to look at Sokka. "To tell your the truth... we're not sure. But when have we ever been?" He said. I nod my head in agreement. "They're the Avatars, Sokka, making peace between people are their jobs" Katara said.

I nod my head, agreeing Katara. "Aside from that... if we can't sort this out... how can we put an end to this war?" I said. Sokka looks worried but he knew we're right.

"They're job's gonna make us cross this canyon on foot isn't it?" Sokka said, sulking a little. "Sorry... we have no choice, Sokka..." I said, apologetically. He lets out a sigh and gives me a small smile.

"Okay, now come the bad news. No food allowed in the canyon, it attracts dangerous predators" Canyon guide said. Both tribes starts yelling out in protests, completely not liking the rule.

"No food? This is ridiculous!" Gan Jin leader said. "Oh, you baby can go a day without food? Would you rather be hungry or dead?" The guide said. He raise an earth pillar. He cups his mouth to make his voice louder.

"Now we're heading down in ten minutes! All food better be in your gut or in the garbage!" He said. I turn my head towards the two tribes as they begin to eat their food. The Zhang tribe eats with their hands, while the Gan Jin tribe eats with chopsticks.

Aang jumps on Appa's head. "Appa's going to take good care of you 'till we get there" he said. He jumps off of Appa and stroke his fur. "See you on the other side, buddy! Yip yip!" He said. Appa roars and starts flying across the canyon.

Time-skip

We're now walking down into the canyon. The tour guide use his earth-bending to form a bridge in a gap in the path. I stare in awe at the newly form bridge.

"Nice bending!" Aang said. I nod my head, agreeing Aang. "The job's much more than bending, kid. Folks wants information. Many of you are probably wondering how the canyon are formed. Experts tells us this canyon was most likely carved into the ground by the earth spirits who were angry at local farmers for not offering them a proper sacrifice" he said.

I hear a sound and look up to see an avalanche. The canyon guide quickly use his bending to send it away from us. I turn my head to see Sokka shaking in his feet.

"He he he, guess the spirits are still angry! Hope you all brought sacrifices" he said. I gulped at what he just said. I know I'm the Avatar... along with my twin brother, and that we're the bridge between the living and spirit world. But still, I don't think I want to deal with an angry spirit. I'd much rather taken a whole army of Fire Nation than a spirit.

'Man... this'll surely be the cherry top of our journey...' I thought to myself, sarcastically. I can only hope we make it to the other side safely. Man... for the Avatar. I sure get scared easily.

*to be continued*