56| the mirror

This chapter is dedicated to BlackUpir! Thank you for your votes my friend!

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

Legolas and Aragorn widened their eyes, glancing at each other as my words confirmed their suspicions.

How could this be? My mind whirred as a million thoughts whizzed through my head. I thought I was safe?

But part of me knew that I would never be safe.

"When was this given to you?" I demanded, not caring about how harsh my voice was coming across.

"L-less than ten minutes ago, why?" The guard replied, visible confusion written all over his expression.

But his words were all it took for a jolt of fear to bury deep in the pit of my stomach. Immediately, Aragorn turned to the guard.

"Notify Théoden and Éomer immediately that there has been a breach in the city's defences."

His voice was tense and authoritative, leaving no room for discussion as he continued to give orders

"Maeglor is a dangerous individual and he may still be here. Lock down the city gates. No one comes in, no one goes out."

At the urgent tone of his voice, the guard instantly nodded, before rushing off to inform the King.

"There's no point." I lamented, my voice low as I watched the guard disappear around the corner. "Maeglor would be long gone by now.

All my panicked thoughts flew through my mind like swarms of insects, the millions of catastrophic thoughts buzzing in my head, consuming all other thoughts and leaving behind nothing but dread and anxiety.

"What does the rest of the message say?" Legolas asked, his tone dripping with urgency.

I opened my mouth to speak, only to stop, my mind ruminating over the words that were written on that piece of paper. Do I reveal everything?

Folding the paper back up in my hands, I shoved it into my pocket before glancing back up at the two of them as they waited expectantly.

"He wants...he wants me to go out and meet him. Where the Snowbourn meets the Entwash in the east."

I paused, knowing that they would not like what I had to say next. "Alone."

The response was immediate.

"Absolutely not." Legolas instantly shot back. "That's a seventy-five mile journey! Don't tell me you're considering it."

A look of disbelief passed over Aragorn's expression when he noticed my silence.

"Daeriel..."

"I have to end this..." I murmured, wringing my hands before me.

"Then we'll come with you." Legolas proposed, crossing his arms.

"No." I immediately replied, my gaze shooting up to meet his.

That would put everyone else in jeopardy. Maeglor was something I needed to deal with alone. Especially given the second half of the letter. The part I had left out.

"I must go alone."

The blonde elf sighed in frustration.

"We just had this conversation, Daeriel!"

I could hear the exasperation building up in his tone, but I couldn't blame him for it. I could only try and persuade them that this was the best choice for me. For all of us.