Chapter 12 ~ Black removal

Recap:

"It's going to take some getting used to, ma'am," Reyna sighed.

Bruce was looking through some test results when Tony came barging in with Wanda and Reyna in tow.

"Bruce, the new kid needs a full medical and that collar removed," he called as he went over to a computer and began typing.

"Okay, let me just get my things. Reyna, please take a seat over there," Bruce pointed Reyna to a bed before leaving the room. Reyna walked over to it and sat down, still holding Wanda's hand.

"Sir, if I may, I've never been without a collar, and they regulated my magic through it, so I've never felt the full force of it," she told him as she subconsciously brought up a hand and touched the thick layer of leather and metal surrounding her neck.

"Of course. I have some limiters left over from when we made Loki's. We can use them until I have something custom-made for you," Tony explained as he went over to a table, picked up two metal armbands, and held them out toward the mutant.

"With these, I can regulate how much magic you have access to so this goes smoothly for everyone involved," he continued and gave one of the bands to Reyna so she could get a better look at it.

"Thank you, sir," Reyna held her arms out so Tony could put them on. He carefully slid the limiters up her arms, fastened them below her elbows, and turned the power up to the level that Loki had on his, just in case. Tony placed himself behind Reyna's back and searched for a locking mechanism. He found a fingerprint system and got to work hacking into it. Not even five minutes later, he had the unlock button in front of him. Bruce entered the room with some medical supplies, and Tony immediately got him to monitor how much energy went through the armbands when he removed the collar.

"We're ready," Bruce confirmed, eyes glued to the screen.

"Are you ready, Reyna?" Wanda asked the mutant, who drew a ragged breath and nodded.

"As ready as I'll ever be, ma'am," she decided.

"Alright, here goes nothing," Tony announced. He pressed the button. It clicked. Tony walked up behind Reyna again and carefully forced it open. When the material finally left her skin, a yelp fled her mouth as her whole body jerked forward. Black coated the area where the collar had been and spread through her veins. It moved along the major vessels and spread out through the thinner ones all over her arms, torso, and legs, clumping around the armbands as if inspecting them. Reyna's eyes weren't any less terrifying; tendrils of what looked like black smoke flowed from her pupils and outwards until her eyes became entirely obscured. They widened a bit before they closed and she took a deep, ragged breath. The blackness in her veins faded away just as quickly as it had appeared. Reyna opened her eyes, which had reverted to their usual yellow, and they seemed to be glowing like stars now that she had access to her magic again. She exhaled and looked around at the slightly horrified faces around her.

"Did I do something wrong, sir?" She asked nervously.

"That happens often?" Tony half yelled, making Reyna flinch.

"They always put me under when they needed to change a collar. I-I don't know, sir," she stammered.

"Hey, it's okay. You did nothing wrong. Are you alright?" Wanda brought Reyna's attention to her, trying to keep her calm.

"Yes, I'm fine, ma'am," she answered. Reyna looked down at her arms and touched the bands.

"Are you sure? Cause the amount of energy going through those limiters will burn them out in less than a day," Bruce said, taking off his glasses and pointing to the screen in front of him.