Christmas and Desire

November passed very quickly and soon, it was almost Christmas. For several days, I wrestled with the decision of either leaving to go back to camp for Christmas or if I should stay here. Annabeth wrote to me and said that a bunch of the campers were actually going to Olympus on the day of the Winter Solstice but honestly, I've been to Olympus before, not only when I was a toddler, but several times when Mom wanted to talk to me. I eventually just decided to stay at Hogwarts. I figured I should at least spend the holidays here one time. Hermione and Ron said they were going to leave but at least I'd have Harry. He and I were apparently the only Gryffindors staying for the winter break. Honestly, Harry was one of the things that convinced me to tell Annabeth I was staying over Christmas. I didn't want to leave him all by himself. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" Hermione asked as she finished packing her trunk. The Hogwarts Express was leaving after lunch so most of the students could head home. She had been worried when she learned that only Harry and I were going to be the only ones at Gryffindor Tower over the next two weeks. 

"Oh Hermione don't worry. I'll be fine. Besides, I want to bond with Harry a little bit. Mom had told me plenty of stories about our dads as kids and I thought Harry would love to hear them." I said, smiling a little sadly. Harry and I had both lost our dads unfairly. I got the better end of the stick though, with having my mom in my life and of course, everyone at Camp. 

"Well, at least walk down with me. I'm going to say goodbye to Harry and I want you to see me and Ron off at the train." I nodded and grabbed my winter clothes. Compared to almost everyone else here at Hogwarts, I bundled up the most. However, it wasn't all bad. I loved the cute earmuffs and mittens that Silena had sent me. Lavender had been so jealous when she saw the designer labels on them.  

Hermione and I walked down to the Great Hall, passing a group of ghosts lazily singing some Hogwarts themed Christmas carol. When we went inside the Great Hall, I spotted Ron and Harry playing chess about halfway down the Gryffindor table. Why wasn't Ron packed yet? The train leaves in like a hour and a half. Hermione and I looked at each other, apparently having the same thoughts, and we walked over the the boys. 

"Knight to E5." Harry said to the chess pieces. I was surprised when the knight piece moved all on its own. I knew at this point that nothing should really surprise me at this point but it was still cool. Ron looked over the board and then smirked smugly. 

"Queen to E5." He said. The Queen piece moved and then got up from her throne and slammed the knight piece with it. I gaped. Now that would make chess seem worth playing. I wondered if Clarisse would actually play this version of chess with me. The violence might convince her. 

"That's totally barbaric!" Hermione didn't seem to agree with me. 

"That's Wizard's chess." Ron stated simply. "I see you've packed." He nodded to Hermione's truck she was pulling behind her. 

"See you haven't." Hermione remarked. 

"Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. he's studying dragons there." Ron explained. 

"Like actual dragons?" I asked. He nodded. "I still have so much to learn about the wizard world." I said as I sat down next to Harry. 

"Good, you can help Harry and Dora. They're going to go and look in the library for information on Nicholas Flamel." I groaned at Hermione's words. As curious as I had been just like the others, Nicolas Flamel was in none of the history books in the library, and believe me, there were a LOT of history books in there. 

"We've looked a hundred times!" Ron complained. 

Hermione leaned over the table to whisper. "Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas." She smiled at the boys before tugging on the back of my sweater. "Come on, Dora." She said.