Chapter 38: Vows of Death

Nobody seemed to find it odd that Cale suddenly wanted to head out. Ron seemed to have gone somewhere as well, as he was nowhere to be found. The only question Hans had for Cale was about where Cale was going.

"Young master, where are you going?"
"Don't worry. Choi Han will be with me."

"Yes, sir! But since this is your first day in the capital, can you please return without breaking any alcohol bottles today?" Hans joked a little as he saw how tense Choi Han was.

"...Are you really going to keep getting out of line like this?"
"Not at all. Please be safe, young master."

Cale got on the carriage and started to think about what to actually say to Choi Han. The carriage arrived at the temple while he was thinking.

"Let's get off."
"Got it."

Cale got up to step out of the carriage. Choi Han had been quiet ever since they got on the carriage, no, since they stepped out of Cale's room. He seemed to have a lot of complicated emotions storming through his head right now.

Cale only knew about Choi Han's personality until the fifth volume of, [The Birth of a Hero]. Since he didn't interact with Choi Han beside the first time they met in the past life.

However, there was one thing that Cale was sure about. Although Choi Han was a good person, he was not gullible. He was very smart.

'I don't want to just give a believable excuse when I couldn't have told him everything. He may believe me at first, but will definitely doubt me later.'

Choi Han may have been very lonely after living in solitude for tens of years, but that experience taught him how to survive on his own, and how to stubbornly persevere.

Choi Han is someone who will live to make his personal view of justice a reality.

The Temple of the God of Death that Cale saw once he alighted was completely white, without a speck of dirt to be seen.

The believers of the God of Death considered white to be the color of death, and cleaned everything over and over again every single day to make sure there was not a speck of dust anywhere on the building.

'Even though his space was black and full of darkness.' Cale couldn't help thinking. 'Did the believers misunderstood the God of Death or did he was just lazy to tell the believers?'

The Temple of the God of Death looked like it wanted to show that people had nothing to fear about the night with their actions.

They opened the temple to both believers and non-believers once the sun started to set. 'Apparently, the priests are all sleeping if you come during the day.'

Cale and Choi Han were greeted by two priests at the temple entrance.

"May you be blessed with a peaceful rest!"
The priests of the God of Death were generally extremely bubbly.

Although people may consider death to be the end, the philosophy of the Church of the God of Death believed that it was important to enjoy life as they headed toward the peaceful rest.

"Priest-nim." Cale slowly approached the priest.

The priest inspected Cale with a curious expression. Cale looked like he was either an extremely affluent noble or a wealthy merchant based on his outfit.

But the man behind him looked like a beggar, although the sword on his waist made him look somewhat strong.

"What can I do for you?"
"Is there an open Room of Death?"