Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man

Atallie snapped out of her shock as she simply greet, "Duke."

Duke Calex looked straight at her as he asked, "My dear wife if I didn't arrive just now, would you just take in all of your father's scoldings?"

Atallie looked back at him. She could not fathom what the duke was currently thinking about to speak such words against the count.

Is he perhaps taking my side?

Atallie's eyes narrowed infinitesimally. The expression of the duke was far from his usual unscrupulous and carefree persona. In fact, with his serious tone of voice and impassiveness, the duke looked stern and way more dangerous.

But if the duke was trying to defend the duchess, or perhaps her dignity, Atallie decided to ride along with him.

"Ease your anger, my dear. Aren't I am just hearing out what my father has to say? I am just being respectful of my elder," Atallie said, her voice particularly still cold but softer and gentler than before.

Duke Calex was slightly taken aback. He knew right away that Atallie was getting along with whatever he was trying to do.

But isn't she acting like a real dear wife now?

"If that's the case, then your father can go back now. You've already gotten an earful of his thoughts and feelings," said Duke Calex. His dark fathomless and glinting eyes glanced sharply at the count who was still stunned silly in fright.

He was dead. Truly dead. The poor count could not even think anymore. Duke Calex's powerful swordsman aura was piercing through him mercilessly. All he could think about was to flee away right then and there.

"Estian, escort the count," Duke Calex commanded.

Estian, who went in after the duke walked inside, immediately came forward towards the count. "Count Ygravet, this way please." He nearly wanted to drag the count away if the count would not budge.

Good thing, although Count Rodrigo nearly passed out from being attacked by the merciless aura of the duke, his survival instinct to flee was fully intact, making his body move on its own after hearing that he could finally leave and escape.

Thus, in just a couple of breaths away, Estian and the count left the room.

Atallie saw and felt as well how the atmosphere became heavy and stuffy. Although the aura did not target her, she was still fully aware of how powerful it was nonetheless.

"Leonor, pour a cup of tea for the duke as well," Atallie said, as she gestured for the duke to take a seat. She could only do this at least as a simple thank you for driving the count away.

Leonor respectfully obeyed and carefully pour a cup for the duke who was now seated opposite the duchess.

Duke Calex glanced at the freshly brewed cup of tea and said, "You may all leave now."

Upon hearing the instruction from the duke, Leonor could only glance at the Duke and kept her thoughts to herself. She signaled the four maidservants to quietly retreat together with her.

Now, only the duke and duchess were left inside the room.

Duchess Atallie quietly brought her cup to her mouth and took a sip on it while Duke Calex was intently looking at her every action. Seemingly trying to figure out something about the duchess.

The room stayed silent for several minutes and after being stared at for that long, Atallie could not just sit still. But when she was about to speak, Duke Calex beat her to it.

"I heard you've been sick all this time?" Duke Calex asked.

"Not really, I'm recovering quite well," Atallie answered nonchalantly as if her condition was not pressing enough.