Ch. 51 - BROKEN GLASS

Avalon's outfit:

Chapter Fifty-One⚔ Broken Glass ⚔

Chapter Fifty-One
Broken Glass

Scott and Avalon walked into a shipyard full of large steel shipping containers and illuminated by large overhead lights. Unbeknownst to either of them, Deucalion was standing on one of the tallest stacks of containers, cane in hand.

Just as the two look at each other, Deucalion slams the tip of his cane onto the roof of the container causing a ripple of sound waves in their direction. Scott and Avalon, hearing the sound as it moves in their direction, turn to find Deucalion staring down at them.

"Do either of you know the term for what I'm doing?" Deucalion asked and Scott nodded, "Echolocation." He said making Avalon look at him impressed. "I guess someone did their homework." She said and Scott shrugged slightly as he glanced at her, "I looked a few things up." He said.

"I know you think you can learn in just one day what took me years to master." Deucalion said and Avalon shook her head slightly, "We were hoping for maybe a few highlights." She said and Scott nodded. "Or anything that can help us fight the Anuk-ite without looking at it." He said.

"Fighting blind is one thing- you haven't even learned to walk yet. An orientation in mobility training specialists has to practice blindfolded with a white cane for at least one hundred and twenty hours before becoming certified!" Deucalion said making Avalon and Scott glance at each other, "I can't teach you to walk and fight in less than twenty-four." Deucalion said.

"Look, we know the odds are bad, but Gerard's got an army. There's a creature that can scare ordinary people into becoming killers." Scott said and Deucalion sighed, "A creature now capable of killing you with just a look. You saw them, didn't you?" He asked and Avalon sighed.

"We saw people turned to stone." She said making Deucalion look at her, "So why aren't all of you running for your lives?" He asked and Scott almost looked offended. "Because we don't run!" He said making Deucalion smile proudly, "Now that sounds like an Alpha. Let's get started." Deucalion said.

A few minutes later Deucalion now stood on the ground in front of Scott and Avalon. "Unfortunately, there's one crucial difference to teaching you how to fight blind." Deucalion said and Scott nodded slightly, "We're not really blind." He said and Avalon furrowed her brows.

"Why does that matter?" She asked as Deucalion started to walk around slightly, "Unless you spend the next few days walking around with a blindfold, all the Anuk-ite has to do is get you to open your eyes." Deucalion said and Avalon shrugged.

"So we keep our eyes shut." She said and Deucalion raised his eyebrows, "You think it's that easy? What happens to your eyes when you're afraid?" He asked. "They open wide." Scott said and Deucalion nodded as he turned to them, "To gather more light and send more data to the brain so you can better handle whatever threat lies in front of you." He said.