FIVE

FIVE
Callie

"What? It's our business party, sunshine." Everest explains to me and I shake my head.

"So why have I just seen a man walk past me with a gun in his possession!" I whisper harshly, pointing to the guy who had just walked past us.

The men follow my pointed finger and relax.

"That's security, love. Like I've said, there are some people here that can't be trusted." Miller smiles gently at me but I don't believe a word he's just said.

"You're lying to me, Miller and I don't appreciate that, but, I'm just going to mind my own business because I'm not trying to die tonight." I grab a flute of champagne from a tray that a waiter holds.

I take a huge gulp.

I jump when I feel a finger trail lightly along my back, just by my tattoo. I turn around to see Phoenix looking at it with a warm look in his eyes.

"Nix?" His eyes shoot up to mine and he puts his finger down and looks away.

"Sorry." He mumbles and takes a step away from me.

I furrow my eyebrows.

I watch as Everest gives him quite a harsh but discrete shove before his usual smile etches onto his face.

Everything is becoming extremely odd.

"Sunshine, meet John!" Everest suddenly exclaims, making me wince.

John.

The scary looking bald man.

"John?" I tilt my head at him and he smirks nodding his head.

"I've heard lovely things about you Callie. Nice tats by the way." He compliments and I smile.

"Thanks, look at this one I just got done." I go to turn and show him my back tattoo but Phoenix decides to step in front of me.

John, holds his arms up in the air and I glare up at Phoenix.

"I was going to show him." I huff and Phoenix glares down at me. "Don't look at me like that." This time he huffs and walks away.

"So what do you do, John?" I tilt my head and he goes to tell me but Everest cuts him off.

"He's security."

Security.

"Since when have we had security?" I question in confusion.

"Since today. Nice talking to you, John." Everest dismisses him and the scary looking man gives me one last nod before walking away. "Have I told you how beautiful you're looking tonight?"

"You're all acting really weird." I point out.

"No we're not." Everest denies and I raise my eyebrows at him.

"I'm going to the toilet." I tell them and turn to leave before they can reply.

As I walk into the toilet my eyes widen at who I see and the situation she's in.

"River?" I say in shock, staring at Everest's younger sister.

She holds a gun up against a lady's neck. The woman whimpers as River pushes the gun further into her skin.

"Callie babe, give me a sec." I watch on with wide eyes as River whispers something in to the woman's ear.

I wince when a high pitched whimper escapes her red lips. As soon as River let's go of her she rushes past me and out of the toilet.

"How are you, pretty girl?" She smiles, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

She has a simple black dress on under a long leather trench coat. We're the same height with our heels on, so I stare into her blue eyes which are identical to her brother's.

"I'm not okay, River because your brother and my other bosses are acting weird and now I've just walked in here to see you nearly shoot someone's head off!" I whisper yell, checking around the toilet to make sure no-one else is in here with us.

"That woman had it coming, her and her husband were glaring at me too much." She scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"What kind of party is this, River?" I question her and she shakes her head

"Business party, baby." She shrugs and then grabs my hand and spins me around. "Nice tattoo." I feel her acrylic nail trail up and down my back before she turns me to face her again. "You mind if I copy that idea, we can match." She winks.

"You're the second person I've seen with a gun tonight, River. I know this isn't some 'business party'." I deadpan and she bites her lip.

"It's a business party with dodgy associates?" She tells me, making her answer sound more of a question. "Although I am quite bored. Should we go somewhere else?" A mischievous smile etches onto her gorgeous face and I shake my head.

I like River but her way of fun can be dangerous.

"I have to stay here." I tell her, declining her offer and her shoulders sag.

"Fine. I guess I'll stay as well, now that you're here." She links her arms with mine and leads us out of the toilet.

I never got to pee.

•••

"Everest, fuck off. You piece of shit!" River exclaims as her brother attempts to pull me away from her for the tenth time tonight.

"Sunshine. You're really going to pick her over me?" Everest whispers, pretending to be hurt and I roll my eyes.

"She's mad at you." River snitches and I send her a threatening look.

"What have I done?" Everest looks genuinely concerned and crouches down in front of me. I watch as his jaw clenches from the gum he's chewing. "Sunshine?"

The way he looks up at me has my heart pounding.

"I just want to leave. I don't feel comfortable here." I admit.

"She saw me holding a gun up to some bitches neck." River explains to him and his eyes widen before he glares at her.

"Sunshine, I'm sorry you had to see that." He sends one last glare to the dark-haired girl before looking back at me. "Talk to me."

"Are you involved in illegal business?" I get straight to the point and watch as Everest stands up from his crouched position.

He looks around and I watch as he makes eye contact with Phoenix and Miller — his jaw clenches.

"Come with me, sunshine."

A/N
How are you finding the book so far?💙