Interlude II

I've spent the day in my room, the empty teacup in the bin by now. I added little details in the room, that makes me feel more at home.

Around the room, I've added some scented candles, the same ones I used at home to make me feel more at ease.

Everything is tidy, but I bet it won't last for a long time.

I won't hear mom's voice scolding me anymore, telling me to clean up or open a window.

The sun has already started to set, and I wonder briefly what I'm going to eat. I'll just order some food because I'm not going out to have dinner by myself.

So instead of going out, I order a salad since I'm not that hungry because of my nerves. I'm stressing out about my classes.

I worry that I'm going to get lost and run late for my class. To then walk into a full auditorium in which everyone's eyes will be on me.

Inhaling deeply, I sit down behind my desk and look up my schedule, to know what I have and when.

It'll be alright.

I have another day to just relax and enjoy the fact that I don't have classes until Monday. Another day to lounge around and do nothing.

I'm somewhat calmed down when my food arrives, and I decide to watch a movie to pass the time.

Sitting down on my bed, I fold my legs underneath me and start eating. I'm halfway through the movie when there's a knock on my door.

I look outside and see it's already dark out. I wonder who it could be as I stand up and head for the door.

Squinting my eyes as I look through the peephole, I exhale in relief when I see it's Delilah. I'm surprised to see her, but greet her with a smile nonetheless when I open the door.

"Hey," I say, not knowing what else to say. "Hey, sorry to drop by just like this. But I was wondering if you wanted to join a party tomorrow night with me? So you can get to know a few people around here?" she asks and tilts her head to the side.

A party? With other people?

I bite my lip, my instant answer being a 'no'. But I promised myself to go out. To learn how to enjoy everything and make new friends.

A bit hesitant, I nod. "Sure," I reply, my tone clipped and short. But this is a big step for me.

Delilah sends me a big smile and claps her hands. "Good! It's going to be a lot of fun, trust me," she grins and hugs me.

"I'll knock at your door tomorrow night at around nine-thirty, that sound good?"

"Yeah, that's perfect," I breathe and watch her walk back towards her room, telling me that she's glad I agreed.

I can take this opportunity to get to know more people and socialize. And maybe even meet a few people who have the same classes I do.

And who are kind enough to show me around campus...

Shaking my head, I realize I'm getting ahead of myself and closing the door, happy that I'm going out tomorrow since this is a chance that could work out well for me.

Resuming the movie, I notice that my nerves have calmed down a bit.