ten

Mama, Daphne, and I are at court. It is rather boring to just stand around and wait for Her Majesty to arrive. I would much rather be anywhere else, but when you are invited to court you simply cannot say no.

People talk as we walk into the room.

"Is that her?"

"The incomparable who captured the prince's eye."

"A mere wisp of a young lady, and a commoner at that."

"Everyone seems to have quite an opinion," Mama states. "How long do you think it will be before Her Majesty arrives? I may very well faint from hunger." Mama picks up a pastry from the table.

Daphne looks at her in shock. "Mama! We are at court!"

"No one is looking at me, dearest," Mama assures before taking a bite.

"Mama!" I say.

"That's quite delicious," Mama states. She turns to Daphne. "My darling, you seem a little strained. You have been that way

for the past few days."

"I have much on my mind," Daphne tells her.

"You do, indeed," Mama agrees.

The doors to the hall open. "Her Majesty Queen Charlotte and her esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

Mama, Daphne, and I walk towards Her Majesty and the Prince. We all curtsy before them.

"Miss Bridgerton, I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace," Prince Friedrich tells her.

"You flatter me, Your Highness," Daphne says.

"I cannot help it. You are perfection itself," Prince Friedrich says.

"Offer her your gift," Her Majesty tells him.

"I have brought you a gift," Prince Friedrich tells Daphne. He pulls a rather large and beautiful diamond necklace from a case. He fastens it around Daphne's neck. Suddenly Daphne turns to face him. "Miss Bridgerton, are you unwell?"

"I am perfectly well. Of course," Daphne assures him. "This necklace is... quite well too.

"She will make a lovely princess, will she not?" Her Majesty states.

"Of course, Your Majesty."

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud. Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon. He may have let the diamond slip through his fingers for now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight.

Upon arriving home I start up the stairs with Daphne. I smile at Ezra as he plays jacks with Gregory. Hyacinth rushes down the stairs from the other direction.

"Is it true? Am I to be the sister of a princess?" Hyacinth asks.

"Calm yourself," I tell her.

"I am not yet engaged to the prince," Daphne reminds her.

"Will you have to wear a crown?" Hyacinth asks.

"Perhaps for special occasions, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne says.

"Will you have to learn Prussian?" Hyacinth asks.

"It is German," I inform her.

"And perhaps, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne adds.