SEVENTEEN

Word Count: 1629

~Avia

Releasing a long, slow breath, I relax back into my pillow.

I've spent the better part of this morning following Isaiah and a few of his guests around. They were from outside of the Pack, so I was used to making Isaiah feel more approachable, more friendly and trustworthy. How well it worked, I'm not sure, but it felt strange trying to aid him and his reputation when in reality, I want this entire place to burn down around him.

The sound of footsteps from down the hall rouse my attention, my eyes drifting up from my book. I've been enjoying lounging in the afternoon sunlight that cascades through my windows, and now it's about to be interrupted.

Sure enough, a head topped with flaming red hair peers around the door frame, accompanied with a mischievous grin.

I roll my eyes.

"Good afternoon," Zire sings sweetly, strolling into my room, nudging the door closed behind him. Immediately I sit up, letting my book fall onto my lap. I'm really not liking these random visits from Isaiah's second-in-command.

"What are you doing?" I'm wary. Has he come in here to kill me since I threatened him?

He smiles, looking around my room as if it might reveal something about me that he doesn't already know. "What are you doing?"

"You're the one who came into my room," I remind him.

"The door was open," he notes, motioning toward it. "Partially."

I rest my head back against the headboard, irritated. At least Isaiah knows about privacy and some semblance of respect, not marching into my room with anything less than a knock. Zire, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have been raised with the same decency. Unless of course, he doesn't like me, which is essentially confirmed at this point.

"Well, you can leave," I mutter, picking my book back up. It was just getting to a good part as well.

He leans over the bed, tugging the front of it down. "Come on Kenna, I just came to chat."

Sighing, I slam the book closed and discard of it on the side table. Maybe I should pick up my glass of water that's there and toss it in his face. He looks awfully smug, considering he's intending to sweet talk me, those pitch black irises swallowing his pupils, only making him look more unnerving.

"It's no secret that I don't like you very much," I drawl.

"No, it isn't." He flops down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. His weight makes the bed shift, a growl erupting from within me as a response. He really does have no manners. "But I thought you wouldn't mind talking to me."

"Get off my bed," I snap, kicking my feet at him under the covers. He winces, pushing himself back up against, looking at me as if I pulled a knife on him. We glare at each other for a long moment before he shifts his gaze to the bedside table. I'm painfully aware there is a dagger tapped to the underside of it.

Zire reaches for the book, examining it. "I didn't know you read."

"I didn't know you have no conception of personal space." I snatch the book right back out of his hand, irritated that he thinks he can come in here and touch all of my stuff.

"How about we talk about things we do know," he announces, smirking. "I'll start: I know your name isn't Kenna."

I swear my heart falls straight from my chest. Forcing my face not to react, I keep my limbs still, not wanting him to read anything from me. My cover is blown, I'm done for. He is going to tell Isaiah and I'm going to be shoved into a prison and then either cast out to be a rogue, or I'm going to be executed.