is it really over? - part two (requested)

Sofia put your keys into the door and opened it, letting you walk inside first.

Noah was in your arms, his head on your shoulder and his eyes closed as he slept soundly.

"I'm going to go put him into bed." You said and Sofia nodded, a few words on the tip of her tongue.

She wasn't quite sure if you wanted her to stay or not but after what happened back at the hospital, she felt confused and she knew it needed to be discussed.

"Y/N?" She whispered and watched as you slowly turned around from the third step of the staircase that you stood on. "I'm going to sit on the sofa and wait for you. We need to talk."

"Okay." You said and carried Noah up to bed the rest of the way.

You gently laid him down and tucked him in under the covers. His eyelashes fluttered against his cheeks before he opened his big brown eyes.

"Hey, buddy. We're home. Go back to sleep. You're okay." You whispered and brushed your fingers through his hair, watching as he closed his eyes yet again and started to fall back asleep.

He had a cast on his wrist and every time you see it, it breaks your heart. But you also know that it could've been so much worse and you're very grateful that it wasn't.

You kissed his head and then walked out of the bedroom, closing the door behind you.

You walked downstairs and, true to her word, Sofia was sitting on the couch, patiently waiting for you.

You sat down on the other cushion and sighed heavily.

As you put your head back against the back of the sofa and closed your eyes, needing to take just a minute to try to breathe, you felt Sofia's hand on your thigh.

Right away, your eyes opened and hers went wide.

"Is this okay?" She asked as she went to slowly pull her hand away, only for you to nod.

"It's okay." You confirmed and she cracked a small smile.

There was a moment of silence between you. It's been like that for a while now. But, for the first time, it was a comfortable silence. It felt like you were okay with her being there with you again and it felt nice - for the both of you.

"Do you think we did the right thing?" She asked suddenly. "When we divorced. We did the right thing?"

"No. I don't think we did. I think, at the time, we weren't in the best place in our marriage. We were overwhelmed with our jobs and taking care of Noah and we didn't have time for ourselves, as a married couple. I think it took a toll on us. We lost that magic a bit."

"I think we gave up. At the time, we were under so much stress and pressure, and I think ending things just seemed easier than trying to work it out because we were both too exhausted..." she paused and stared at her lap, biting at her lip before she looked back at you and said, "I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry for not fighting for us, for just giving up. I regret it every day."

"Me too." You said and your eyes started to water, tears stinging them.

She dropped your hand to instinctively cup your cheeks and catch your tears as they fell before wiping them away.

"I miss us... I miss you. I miss the way things used to be. I hate this house,"

She interrupted you with a tearful giggle.

"Because it's empty and it's quiet. Without you, everything feels wrong and it's too lonely."

"I know how you feel." She mumbled. "I miss you too. I miss Noah, I miss us being together, as a family." She said and let out a shaky breath. "I am sorry. Truly, baby, I am. I wish I could go back in time and make things better."

"I think you're making things better right now." You said and locked eyes with her, watching as they lit up. "In a weird way, maybe us splitting up wasn't so bad. Don't get me wrong, I hated every minute of it. But it clearly helped us to see what was so wrong. It helped us figure out our mistakes and it helped us to realize that we love each other too much to let each other go."

"I think you're right." She said and opened her arms for you, a sigh of relief falling from her lips as you moved into them.

She closed her eyes as you hugged her tight, your head on her chest.

"I want to come home." You said and your words made her heart race with excitement.

"You do?" She asked as she pulled away, almost unable to believe what she'd heard.

There was a big smile on her face and her eyes were brighter than you'd seen in so long.

"Yeah. That's where Noah and I belong. If you want us there, that is."

She scoffed before she pushed her lips onto yours, giving you the kiss you've been dying to get from her for so long.

She cupped your cheeks in her hands again as her lips moved in perfect sync with yours.

She could've laid you on your back and deepened the kiss, had it not been for the quiet voice coming from the stairs.

"Mom?"

You pulled away from her lips and looked up at Noah, who stood at the top of the steps as he rubbed his eyes.

"Hey, buddy. Everything okay?" You asked.

"I heard mom's voice," he explained as he nodded to Sofia. "Can you come read me a story?"

Sofia looked at you before looking back at him.

"Yeah. I'll be there in just a second." She said as she rubbed your back.

He walked back to bed and Sofia gave you a few more kisses.

"I'll be back, baby."

"Take your time." You said. "It's been a while since you've read him a story and helped him fall asleep like that. He misses you, just as much as I do."

"Well, there'll be no more missing me after tonight." She said as she tucked a lock of hair behind your ear. "Because I'd love it so much if you both came home."

"We'd love that too." You smiled and she kissed you once more before walking upstairs and you closed your eyes, a big smile tugging at your lips as you realized, finally, everything was going to be okay again.