23: They're back.

Y/n's pov

When the movie ended and people began filing out into the otherwise deserted mall, Dustin cracked the door open and we all peered out from behind him.

"And..." he said as a large group of people walked past. "Blend."

He opened the door all the way and we quickly but casually walked out, merging with the crowd unnoticeably.

I took Dustin's hand and grabbed the back of Erica's backpack as she subconsciously got too far ahead.

"Well shit." Erica said, impressed when no one even spared a glance in our direction. "That worked."

"'Course it worked." Dustin scoffed. "Now we just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebs, and home sweet home, here we come." He had a prideful smile on his face. Gripping onto my hand tightly.

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve said guiltily, looking around.

"What?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, we might not want to go to your house." Steve said.

I squeezed Dustin's hand just a little harder, seeing as I had, in fact, played a part in that problem.

"Yeah... Our houses are a no-go zone
For a bit, Dust." I frowned, because now we couldn't go to his house or my house, owing to the fact that we lived next to each other.

"Why?" He asked, looking between Steve and I."

"Well... Because Steve and I accidentally, kinda gave them your full name." I said.

"What is wrong with you?" Dustin hissed at Steve, his eyes wide.

"Dude, I was drugged!" Steve defended.

"So!?" Dustin asked.

"'So?'" Steve repeated.

"So, you resist!" Dustin said. "You tough it out. You tough it out like a man!"

"Oh, yeah, that's easy for you to say! And besides, Y/n told them too!" Steve said.

"Yeah, only because you mentioned it." Robin argued.

"Yeah! And besides, that drug wasn't meant for Y/n's brain! She couldn't help it!" Dustin also defended.

"Why's everyone defending Y/n?!" Steve complained.

"Because I'm just so much better than you, Steve." I rolled my eyes sarcastically.

"Guys?" Robin said, ending the arguing as we came to a stop. We all followed her gaze until we saw a few men dressed in all black, searching people's bags.

"Oh shit." I mumbled, people brushing against us as they continued to casually walk for the exit.

"Abort!" Dustin whisper shouted just as one of the men looked our way. "Abort. Abort!"

We all spun around and began running back through the crowd, towards the escalators, as we were being the most not-stealthy people on the face of the earth.

"Shit!" Steve said when we reached the escalators and saw that they were blocked off.

"Okay." Robin said to herself, before sliding down the metal in between the escalators.

"Come on. let's go, let's go." Steve ushered, sliding down after her.

"Go, go, go." I said, pushing Erica down as I glanced behind me to see the Russians running through the crowd.

After Erica had gone down, I went, and then Dustin slid down shortly after me.

Everyone was waiting at the bottom for Dustin, and we began running again as soon as his feet touched the ground.

"Over there!" I whisper shouted, pointing to a pizza place at the other side of the mall with a high counter. We all darted towards it and hopped the counter.

"Everyone down!" Robin instructed and we all ducked down, sitting against the counter. I sat between Steve and Dustin, pressing my back to the cold wooden drawers behind me.

I heard men yelling Russian words somewhere behind us and I hugged my knees tightly to my chest.

Dustin wrapped his arms around his knees, his eyes wide.

"We're gonna be alright." I let out a barely audible whisper.

Dustin nodded rapidly and kept his eyes straight forward, refusing to meet my gaze.

I reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly.

My breathing picked up and became uneven as I heard footsteps around our hiding spot and I shut my eyes tightly and shrank into Dustin's side when I heard a Russian whisper and then more footsteps that were closer to us.

Suddenly, a car alarm started wailing, making us all flinch.

The Russians behind us shared some more words before I heard yells and a loud crash, ending in silence.

I exchanged a look with Steve and we all slowly peered over the countertop.

"Holy mother of.." My voice trailed off as I looked at the strange scene but not unfamiliar in front of me.

Four Russian guards were unconscious and quite possibly dead on the ground, and a red display car had been smashed into a food booth, it's windshield glass completely discarded, leaving behind a trail of knocked over tables and chairs.

My eyes widened as I looked at all of the chaos, my gaze darting up to the balcony at a sign of movement.

Standing on the top floor was El, and behind her stood Nancy, Jonathan, Mike, Max, Lucas and Will.

They all stared down at us, motionless and silent, and I noticed a red line of blood dripping out of El's nose.

My lips curved up into a smile when I realized she had done all this.

She had saved us.

Word count: 880