Chapter 73

Xander's POV:

We ate our dinners quicker than usual, it felt.

I finished first, setting my plate on the coffee table and watching her finish off her last couple of bites.

There was a difference in the way she was holding herself.

I never noticed it until now since it was all I'd ever seen from her

No matter how she used to hold herself, her shoulders were always straight. Whether she was just standing, lounging, even leaning forward, her shoulders were always back.

And now as she hovered over her plate, scraping up the remnants with her fork, they fell forward with her.

Like she was just now allowing herself to hunch. To relax completely.

The scent around her was different too.

It was all I could sense from her after her panic and my, well, entirety finally calmed down.

It was... peaceful almost. Not sensing any fear or worry rolling off of her.

A rare occurrence indeed, but this time I was going to make sure that it stuck.

Especially after how she thanked me and the tears she'd only then shown me.

She knew as much as I did how much I meant what I said.

And this look of ease written all over her now... Yeah, I was gonna make sure that stuck too.

A light monetary pressure in my chest was the agreement I needed.

It felt like it had been forever since every part of me was on the same page and acted accordingly when it truly mattered.

It felt nice to finally work with myself again.

To feel like me again.

I had underestimated how freeing that run-in with Layla would be.

Not that it made up for any of the atoning I have yet to do, but it eased my conscience enough to be noticed.

I know that she at least noticed it.

The porcelain clinked against the table as she reached to set her plate beside mine.

"Alright," She sighed out, fully satisfied with her meal, "Spill it."

I found myself smiling as she turned her back to the armrest, staring directly at me for the stories I had promised her while she brought her feet up onto the cushion.

The anticipated curiosity in those wide eyes for the information I would spill if I ever caught sight of her and Layla in the same room again.

"Alright, get comfy," I said, shifting myself to do the same, pausing once her voice rang out.

"Then come here."

I looked at her completely straight face.

Did she just...?

Well... I guess.

There's no way I was just going to say no to that.

She lifted her legs as soon I began to scoot over, glancing at her every second to gauge whether she wanted me to stop or keep going.

Her legs ended up resting with one over the other across my lap, heels falling onto the cushion on the other side of me.

I swallowed through my heart that was beating a little too fast than it should be.

Probably at the fact that she wanted to be close to me now.

That she trusted me.

Although, I did need somewhere to put my hands...