34 | Hello, Old Friend

11k <3

P E A R L

P E A R L

What the hell were they doing here?

Even though a nudge of disappointment sunk in my chest from the absence of Zion's lips on mine, I grinned confusedly at the sight of our friends.

They stood on the sand, watching us with towels in their hands and swimsuits on.

River wasn't there, though, and I assumed he was with his daughter back in town.

I noticed Gabriel was standing a bit further from them, watching the waves absentmindedly.

"Should we pretend we didn't hear them?" Zion whispered into my ear and held onto my waist tightly, reluctant to let me go.

I chuckled, "Too late, they already saw me looking at them."

He groaned lowly, leaning his head down so that his lips were skimming the spot below my ear.

"All your fault," His sly whisper was laced with humour, and I felt his lips curve upward against my skin.

The butterflies in my stomach continued to flutter for the longest time, and when he finally pulled back, he couldn't stop smiling.

"We still need to talk," I told him, planting my hands on his shoulders to balance myself as another wave pushed gently around us.

"I know," He nodded, not letting my words make his smile falter.

We would talk about where our relationship was going. I sensed he still had a lot to say, and I would listen. He would listen, too, when it was my turn to speak.

"They're going to have a lot of questions," I murmured, darting my gaze to the group of four.

They were already settling down on the sand, enjoying the sun rays that glowed on their complexions.

"You don't have to answer any of them if you don't feel comfortable," Zion's thumb caressed the side of my waist, just as he did the last two times he had me in his arms.

I sighed, and turned my gaze to Zion when Nicandro looked our way.

"You always do that," I murmured to him as he continued to soothe the skin of my waist.

"Do what?" I felt his voice reverberate from beneath my hands as I held his chest.

"You're touching my waist. You do it every time you're holding me," My face began to heat up, and I knew it was from his heated gaze.

"Do you not like it?" His touch faltered, hovering over my skin instead of touching it.

"No, I do like it," I chuckled, admiring the bare minimum when he stopped to see if I was uncomfortable. "It makes me feel safe."