Chapter 44: A Confrontation Before the Event

"Young master Cale of Count Henituse's household is entering the hall!"

Cale could hear the servant shout out Eric, Gilbert, and Amiru's names as well as he walked into the hall.

"Not bad." He looked around the large hall before walking behind Eric.

Young lady Amiru peeked toward Cale, before walking next to him and starting to speak. "Young master Cale. At the front of the banquet hall is the crown prince's seat, and the tables are split based by region. The reason for that-."

Amiru, who was about to explain the reason for why the tables are split based on region, looked at Cale's expression, before changing what she was going to say. "I probably don't need to explain the reason, right?"

"Thank you very much, young lady Amiru, but I know the reason." Cale watched Amiru nod her head with a curious expression on her face, and then headed toward the tables to the Northeast section of the room.

There were five tables inside the hall. Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and the center. They were all divided based on each of the noble factions.

'The crown prince is good at things like this.'

He controlled things in the background to make the factions compete with each other while also forcing them to come together every so often.

It was the crown prince's specialty. But the crown prince was very thorough about his own treatment as well.

The crown prince's table was located to the front of all five of these tables, at a location that was about two steps higher than the rest. The second and third prince's seats are one step lower than his.

One step lower than the crown prince's table was the table for the second and third princes. Even if this event was being hosted by the crown prince, it would be weird for the second and third princes to not attend a gathering of nobles. Since the crown prince was the one to host it, he made sure to show a gap between their status.

'He really pays attention to these tiny, useless details.'

The crown prince, actually, all of the people in those positions of power, were really not Cale's type of people.

"Our table is closest to the entrance, as expected."

Cale did not respond to Eric's bitter voice. The Palace of Joy had opened the eastern entrance as the designated entrance, and the Northeastern region nobles' table was the closest to the door.

Although the Northeastern region had a voice, they did not have a household that was strong enough to have a loud voice.

Cale raised his hand to pat Eric's shoulder. "It's great that our seat is close to the door. In addition, it is great that we don't have anyone we have to lower our head to at our seat."

Other regions had strong people in charge, like Marquis Stan, whom the rest had to be respectful to and subservient.

The other three people walking with Cale stopped walking. Cale also stopped walking after seeing them halt.

Eric turned around to look at Cale for a while, before finally starting to speak. "Young master Cale."

Since they were in the company of others, Eric did not call Cale casually by name. "I'm glad that my efforts seem to have paid off."

'Efforts? What efforts? Those letters full of nagging? I didn't even read it after reading two letters with the exact same words.'

Cale looked toward Eric with a dull expression, but Eric turned back around and proudly walked to the table that was closest to the entrance.