Chapter 56

Sirius stared back at her wordlessly for a while, looking as though he had become petrified. Diana didn't know what to expect of him or what was going to be his reaction.

     Was he going to lash out and start yelling? Or would he try to think of a plan with her to stop their parents? But Diana surprised when he only rolled his eyes.

     "Very funny." He then shook his head and began to walk away.

     "Son of a —" Diana gritted her teeth together, pacing quickly after him to catch up with him. "Wait! Black!"

    She walked toward him and stopped, blocking his way as she glared up at him through furious eyes. "Do I look like I'm joking?"

     "Yes, you do look like a joke. Go on."

     Controlling her fist appeared to be a difficult thing to do as Diana tried to hold herself back from punching him.

     "Listen here, you git! I don't like you enough to even joke about such a thing!" she snapped. "I don't know about your parents, but mine are definitely planning an arranged marriage for us to keep the pure Wizarding bloodline going."

      The resentment in her voice silenced Sirius if it did not convince him. It didn't come easy to him to believe this.

      "Surely your parents wouldn't want their sweet and precious little daughter to het married at the age of sixteen," he finally said after a long pause, the mockery visible in his voice.

    "Not now. After graduating Hogwarts," she corrected him sternly. "I've met your mother once, a few months ago, and if I'm being honest, she seemed way worse than my parents put together when it came to this whole Pureblood supremacy belief. And you're telling me that your parents have never mentioned anything about how you're supposed to marry well?"

     Sirius didn't reply as he felt the realization dawn on him. Ever since he was a child, his mother never used to shut up about the noble family of Black, and how he had to marry into a Pureblood wizarding family once he was of age.

     "Now you listen here, Greengrass," Sirius finally spoke and snarled quietly, taking a few steps closer to her in a dangerously slow pace, "if I learn that you're trying to mess with me or none of this turns out to be true, I will make you regret being born."

     Diana gazed up into his eyes with the same amount of hatred. "Believe me, if this turns out to be true, I will regret being born myself."

      Finally convinced that there was no hint of joking in her voice, Sirius's breath hitched in his chest. With his eyes wide and without blinking, he started pacing around back and forth, running a hand through his long black hair.

     "I'm not going through with this," he mumbled under his breath, as if mostly talking to himself.

"Oh, yes. Because I, on the other hand, can't wait to live the rest of life with you!" Diana said sarcastically, clapping her hands together in a mocking-dreamy way.

He stopped walking to glare at her. "Your sarcasm isn't helping."

"It does, actually. It's my coping mechanism."

Sirius huffed, placing a hand over his forehead. "We have to think of something to do to get this stupid idea out of their heads. We have two years to prevent this madness from happening. That should be enough time to come up with something."

"Good to know you're on board. Now what do you have in mind? Any ideas?"

"I don't know yet. Give me time. I'll figure something out." He sighed. "But if it comes to the worst... I guess we'll just run away before the wedding could happen."

"Funny." Diana snorted. But her smile disappeared when she saw the serious expression on his face. She cleared her throat, saying, "Until we come up with something to do, let's just keep this whole thing to ourselves."

      "Who else knows?"

     "Other than my family, only my friend Layla knows."

      "Well, tell her not to say anything to anyone else. You're right; we should keep this whole thing quiet." He nodded. "So, if you don't have any more shocking news, we should better get going. The train leaves in ten minutes, I suppose."

"Yeah. Okay." At last, Diana sent him weary wave before walking off to board the Hogwarts Express.

Sirius remained outside, till pacing around to calm his racked nerves. He needed some air. After a few long minutes when he finally heard the train's doors being shut, he ran and boarded it just in time. On his way down the corridor, he pondered uneasily about what he was supposed to do, but he came to no reasonable conclusion.

     All he knew was that he was sick of his mother controlling his whole life. He was done. 

"Ah, look who finally decided to show up!" said James with a grin as Sirius opened their compartment door and got inside. "So?"

Sirius found James and Peter's eyes follow him as he took the seat beside Peter. "So what?"

"So what did she want?" Peter questioned curiously.

"Oh, nothing important." He shrugged. "She kissed me."

Remus's head suddenly snapped up, who had been pretending to be reading for the last few minutes.

"What?" Remus said in a hollow voice, trying to keep his expression from changing.

"Why do you sound so surprised, Moony?" James scoffed. "That's the most typical-Padfoot-thing that could happen."

"W-well, she didn't exactly seem happy with him just a few minutes ago," said Remus, his eyes fixed on Sirius, who seemed rather distracted.

"We were in the middle of a heated argument, but then things got out of hand." Sirius shrugged, flashing them his usual arrogant smirk. "What can I say? Girls just can't resist my charm."

Remus raised his book up to his face again, his mind going blank and his heart clenching in his chest.

     He'd been bitten at the age of five. He turned into a werewolf on each full moon, breaking every bone in his body every time. But he had never felt this hurt in his life.