Chapter 37

Previously on Chapter 36

"No. As long as I'm his guardian, I will decide when he trains... and when he gets his butt kicked at Pai Sho" he said. Monk Tashi glares at him and storms off. Aang turns to him and grins. I grab his hand and pulls him to sit back down, making him laugh.

-The Day Everything Changed: Part 2-

Y/N P.O.V

"Then when I was starting to feel better. Something worse happened" he said. I remember that day. It was the before the day he chose to leave home. The day that was so dreadful for the two of us.

Flashback

I'm with Aang, we are wondering around when we saw the monks gathering. They appear to have a serious conversation. I grabbed Aang's hand and pulled him along with me.

"What are you doing? It's wrong to eavesdrop!" He said. "They were talking about you anyway! Now shh! I'm trying to listen!" I said. He rolled his eyes and complied anyway. I could tell that he's curious too.

"Aang needs to have freedom and fun. He needs to grow up as a normal boy! Think about his sister... she needs her brother by her side. It's not going to be easy for the girl if we take her brother away!" Monk Gyatso said.

"You cannot keep protecting him from his destiny... as for Y/N. I'm sure the girl would understand. She is one of the brightest and smartest air-bender we have around!" Monk Tashi said. "Gyatso... I know you mean well. But you are letting your affection for the kids cloud your judgement" Monk Pasang said.

"All I want is what are best for them" Monk Gyatso said. "But what we need is what's best for the world. You and Aang must be separated! The Avatar will be sent away to the Eastern Air Temple to complete his training! As for Y/N... she can choose whether she wants to stay here, or go with her brother..." Monk Pasang said.

I turn to look at Aang to see him have a horrified and sad looks on his face. He jumped away from our spot and storms off. I instantly followed him.

"Aang..." I said. He's clenching his hands into a tight fists. "Everything changed... I don't like this, Y/N... it's not fair..." he said. "I know how you're feeling Aang..." I said. He turns to look at me. My heart broke seeing the tears in his eyes.

"Are you coming with me?" He said. "Of course. I wouldn't leave my brother's side" I said. "But that would mean you're leaving all your friends..." he said. "Aang... family comes first" I said. He smiles and wrap his arms around me.

End of Flashback

"That's awful, Aang... I don't know what to say..." Katara said. Aang stands up and turns away from us. "How could they do that to me? They wanted to take everything I knew and everyone I loved!" He yelled, activating his Avatar state. I can feel my tattoo glow for a few seconds.

"Whoa! Hot cinders!!" Katara yelped. Aang comes out of the Avatar state and sits down again. "I'm sorry I got so mad..." he said. "You have the right to be angry after the monks sent you away like that..." Katara said.

"Well... that's not exactly what happened. I was afraid and confused... I didn't know what to do" Aang said. I smile sadly and rub his back softly.

Flashback

"Aang, I'm not going to let them take you from me. Aang?" Monk Gyatso said. I'm standing behind him as well, because I'm worried since Aang didn't leave his room the whole day.

"Aang?" I said. I push the door open. There are no signs of Aang. I furrowed my eyebrow and looked around. Eventually, my eyes spotted a piece of rolled up parchment paper on Aang's bed. I walk towards it and picked it up. I unroll it and starts to read the content.

Dear,
Y/N

I'm sorry sis... I don't want to drag you into my mess. I know that you will be upset if you have to leave your friends, especially your best friend. So, I think it's best if you stay here.

For me... I don't know where I should go. I'll just go where the air would take me. Once again... I'm sorry for leaving you, sis. I love you...

Sincerely,
Aang

"H-He... left..." I said, tears streamed down both of my cheeks. I clutched the parchment close to my chest, as I start to cry softly. I can't believe my brother left me.

A sudden boom resonate in the room. I turn my head to see it's raining heavily out there. There's going to be a storm. Oh no... Aang... where are you, brother?

End of Flashback

"I never saw Gyatso again... The next thing I knew, I was waking up in your arms after you found me in the ice-berg... I also never thought that I'm could see you again, Y/N. After all, I thought I was the last air-bender..." he said. I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. He wraps his arms around me, hugging me back.

"You ran away..." Katara said. "Not long after you ran away, the Fire Bender attacked our temple..." I said. "I'm sorry, Y/N. My people needed me... and I wasn't there to help..." he said. "You don't know what would have-" Katara tried to say, but Aang cuts her off.

"The world needed me and I wasn't there to help!" He said. "Aang..." Katara said, in sadness. Aang just sighs in response. "The fisherman was right. I did turn my back on the world!" He said.

"Aang, no. Look at me..." I said. He turns his head to look at me. "I'm responsible too, Aang. Yes... I only just learned that I'm the Avatar too. But that doesn't change the fact that I was never there to help them... Monk Gyatso died trying to keep me safe. You're not in this alone... we both are..." I said.

"Your sister is right, Aang... you're being too hard on yourself, even if you did run away. I think it was meant to be. If you had stayed, you would have been killed along with all the other air-benders..." Katara said. I nod my head, agreeing with her.

"You don't know that" he said. "She's right, Aang. You weren't there. But I was. The Fire Bender were terrifying. They killed everyone in front of my own eyes. I was so helpless... I did what I could to try to fight them. But I was not strong enough... I barely made it out alive. If it weren't for Monk Gyatso... I-I would've-" I stopped mid-sentence as I burst into tears.

"I'm so sorry, sis..." Aang said, pulling me into his embrace. I bury my face in the crook of his neck as I cry softly. He rub my back with one hand, while the other caresses my head softly. He held me tightly in his embrace.

"I know it was meant to be this way. The world needs you... both of you. You two give people hope..." she said. Aang just gives her a weak smile. I tighten my arms around him, he do the same.

As hard as it is for me to take in. She was right. It was meant to be this way. If Monk Gyatso hadn't helped me escape... if Aang hadn't ran away. We would both be dead... and there won't be Avatars to save the world.

*to be continued*

A/N: 3,45k?! Wow!!! Thank you so much you all!! I hope you like this story so far! Let me know what you think in the comment. Love ya~