Chapter 1

*This book takes place in 2019, just a disclaimer for later in the book*

Esther Mae Harlow (17)
~

Ashton Lee Dalloway (18)~

~

Ashton Lee Dalloway (18)~

~Esther~

I was sitting outside my small town's library. It was a foggy day so no one was out nor was the library open, I like coming here to escape from everything. The library had a garden with a bench where you could sit and read. This is where I came when I didn't want anyone to bother me. Almost nobody ever walked by the library so it was a place I could sit and read or, on the days it's closed, I could sit here and cry and nobody would see me.

So, I was doing just that, sitting on the bench crying my eyes out like a child because it seemed like everything was against me today. I had been here almost an hour, not crying the whole time, mostly just thinking although I had started crying a few minutes ago. Lifting my hand to wipe the  tears off my face, my eyes caught on the town asshole, Ashton Dalloway, walking towards the library. 

He seemed not to notice me and I tried to keep it that way. I stood up and tried to walk away slowly but as I was backing away from the bench my foot got caught on a crack in the concrete, making me fall backwards onto the hard concrete. Pain shot up my leg from my ankle and I let out a yell, cursing myself afterwards for drawing Ash's attention towards me. He spun, not realizing that I had been there. When he realized it was me he decided to be his asshole-ish self

"Falling for me, darling?" He smirked as he walked over to me.

"Fuck off, Ash" I spat, he may have been coming to help me but I wasn't going to let him. I didn't need his help, I was fine on my own. "Go away."

"Shut up and let me help you"

"There's no need I'm fine." As I tried to stand he crossed his arms and lifted his eyebrow as if he was mocking me. I struggled to stand, realizing once I had stood up and braced myself on the bench that I would need crutches if I was going to walk by myself. Sighing, I looked up from my now swollen ankle and realized Ash was still there. I'd expected him to just laugh at me and walk away when I stood up like the asshole he normally was.