24

Jungkook stares down at his coffee mug with a head full of thoughts. He hadn't seen Jimin or Taehyung in a really long time, and to see them at a club of all places.

He still remembers shouting at them to get out of his house. Remembers their faces shattering when he broke off the last of their trust.

The bells on the door chime, indicating a new customer entering the cafe, and Jungkook looks up. It takes him a second to register who it is, and when he does, his eyes widen.

Maria talks to the girl at the register like they were friends, and Jungkook figured she must be a frequent customer here at the cafe.

He still remembers seeing her in that lace bra and skirt. She looked sinful, and Jungkook couldn't deny the pull he felt towards her.

Except, from what he saw, she was together with Jimin.

His eyes follow her as she sits in a seat by the window, and he chews on his bottom lip. After a minute or two, he finally stands and walks towards her, smoothly sliding into the seat opposite of her.

Maria looks at him with wide, surprised eyes and curls her fingers into the front of her jacket nervously. Jungkook found the sight cute, and couldn't help but smile sheepishly.

"Hi, um..." Jungkook chuckles nervously and rubs the back of his neck. "I'm Jungkook. I don't think you saw me, but I saw you with Jimin at the club."

"Oh," she blushes, a small smile forming on her lips. "I'm Maria. Can I help you?"

Jungkook pauses, tapping his fingers against the side of his mug. "How—How are they?"

"Who?" she frowns, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Jimin and Taehyung," Jungkook says. "Are they okay?"

Maria looks at him warily and nods.

"Good, that's uh—good," he clears his throat and nods.

"I should go," Maria says, standing up.

Jungkook was quick to stand up as well. "Please, take my card. If you ever need help, I'm only a phone call away."

Maria looks down and reads his card. "Officer Jeon?"

"Just call me Jungkook," he smiles.

"Okay," she says quietly, tucking it into her pocket. "Goodbye, Jungkook."

"Goodbye."

Jungkook sits back down in his seat slowly, and he hates the way his heart tugs in worry as she walks away.

***

"You'll only need a little bit to kill the bastard," Namjoon chuckles, looking at the bottle of poison.

"Good," Jimin grins.

Maria barely registers their words. She was sitting next to Jimin quietly with her head swarming with thoughts of Jungkook.

Who was he really? And why was he so interested in Taehyung and Jimin?

"Anyway," Namjoon sighs, pulling out a large orange envelope. "Tell me about your mother, Maria."

Maria blinks out of her trance and pauses, her eyebrows furrowing. "She passed away a long time ago."

"In a car accident, right?" Namjoon presses. "When you were eight?"

"How do you know that?" she growls, her hands curling into fists defensively.

"Easy, sweetheart," Namjoon chuckles, pulling out the files from the envelope. "I did some background checks on your family. Did you know your mother left you a fuck ton of money?"