Chapter 59: And Then There Was The Truth

Benji

"Did you get together with anyone while we were broken up?" Brandy asks.

I roll down the window in the limo to get some fresh air. "No."

"Really?" She makes sure. "Not even that girl at Shawn's party?" I'm surprised she remembers — I hardly remember.

"Oh, you mean Valerie," I say. "I haven't spoken to her since that day. I didn't hook up with any girl, B, I'm telling you the truth. Did you?"

"Did I hook up with any girls?" She smiles. "You'll be sad to hear that I did not."

I laugh. "What about guys? Did you hook up with any guys?"

"Do you really have to ask? We're talking about me," she says.

He shrugs. "I think we learned you aren't as innocent as everyone thinks." He smirks.

"I didn't hook up with anyone else," she promises. "I would never do that to you."

A few minutes later, we roll up to NYU to drop Brandy off at her night class. "Thank you for the ride, Andrew," she speaks up. "I'll see you later tonight," she says to me.

"We'll pick you up at nine." I kiss her.

Afterwards, Andrew drives me back to the Upper East Side because I have to have dinner with my parents and Natalie tonight. We are going to some fancy restaurant that won't let you in without a suit on — anything less is a disgrace. I go home and get dressed before I have to leave again to get to the restaurant.

I get inside and Natalie waves to me from a distance. "Hi," she says before she kisses my cheek gently. "You look good."

I look down at myself. "I guess I do." I smile. "Where are my parents?"

"They aren't here yet, but your Mom called earlier on and said she was going to be late. She told us to get seated and order without them," she explains.

We sit down at a small table, which I can't help but notice only has two seats. "Excuse me?" I say to the waiter. "We have two more people coming so I think we need a bigger table."

"This reservation is under Cruz, correct?" He asks.

"Correct," I say.

"Mm, nope, we have it written down that this is a table for two," he says before he walks away.

I pull out my phone and call Dad. "Where are you two?" I ask.

"Actually, Son, we are not coming," he tells me.

"No kidding. So what's going on? Why aren't you coming to dinner?" I can't believe I took the time to come here and now they're leaving me alone with Natalie.

"Your mother and I decided that you and Natalie hardly spend enough time together and we wanted to give you a nice night together. You two, order anything you'd like, the bill is on us."

"Dad? Are you insane?" I turn around whisper into the phone. "What are you talking about?"

"Have a nice night, Benji. We'll see you at home." He hangs up.

I scoff as I turn back around at Natalie and shove my phone into my pocket.

"It looks like it's just going to be the two of us." She smiles. "You don't look so happy about it though."

"No, it's fine. I was just expecting them, that's all," I lie. I hate that I still have to pretend to be invested in this half-ass relationship. When will this torture end?