chapter fourteen.

It was now Saturday. It had rolled around quickly and quietly and before I could truly see it coming. The day prior had felt like I'd been shipped off to the ends of the earth, my new home being the diner and all on my lonesome because by the time I'd started, Avery had finished. We hadn't yet had our in depth chat, but I knew it would happen at some point this weekend.

I had phoned her yesterday to let her know of the coming plans this weekend held, of course she jumped at the offer and had already planned out her whole outfit to me on the phone. I'd hardly seen anyone in the past day, a world with just my footsteps and thoughts.

But today's antics were what got me through.

I was excited. Excited to spend time with everyone, excited to get out into the world and excited to be in such a setting I knew I wasn't supposed to be in. Evie had woken me up this morning, a sudden shake to the shoulders and a whisper of 'I've packed your bags for you, we need to leave now so we can get there in time'. And so we did just that, I'd thrown myself together somehow, opting for the quickest pieces of clothing I could set my eyes on— my comfy brown shorts and oversized tee.

Evie threw our bags into the back of Harry's car, rounded the rest of us outside and made sure the door was locked a total of three times. The bright morning sun was the first sign of it being a good day, I stood watching as Leon got into the passenger seat and Jett crawled into the back, my face scrunched from the blinding sun and arms crossed to hide the fact that I had not remembered to slip on a bra in my frenzied state minutes ago.

I crawled in next, wiggling around in the middle seat trying to find a comfortable position between Evie and Jett— everybody knew the middle seat was never a blessing. It took another five minutes to make sure everything was set, our drive into the city wasn't bound to be a quick one, although as we began our journey, I didn't miss the fact that Harry had chosen to play his George Michael cassette. Our eyes met in the rear view mirror and I sent him a smile, because if there was one way to make this long trip bearable, it was definitely listening to the soothing voice of my favourite man.

Jett had booked a hotel for us all to stay in, a well known one since they carried the weight of importance with a band like theirs. The strict plan was for Avery to meet us there since her sister was heading into the city for the weekend regardless, so she'd be dropped off long after we'd be set to arrive. We'd get settled in, have a few hours to spare and then it was go time.

I was more excited than I was nervous, fiddling with my hands in the back seat of the car. I'd never done anything like this before. Though as I noticed Harry's eyes land on me once again while I quietly mouthed the lyrics that were blasting through his car speakers, a wave of nervousness crashed through me. Deeper this time, because I couldn't bare to read into what his stare really meant. I was not the kind of girl to do so, and I hated the fact that his small knowing looks had been a perfect start to my morning.

-

"Your key."

"My key?"

"Duh, to your own room." Jett stuck out her hand, a hotel room key waiting to be taken.

My hotel room key.

"Are you sure this is okay? Like, my own room? How much is that? Because I can giv-"

Leon shook his head, "Shut up, love bug. It's on us, well, on management, not a big deal at all." He swiped the key from Jett's palm and stuck it into my own. Harry had gone to park his car in its designated spot in the undercover carpark, while the rest of us stood in the foyer waiting for our rooms to be ready. The hotel had a red ambiance coming from the front, not something I'd seen before and the thought excited me further, wondering what it would look like at night.