32

WARNING: Nina is kinda an asshole in this chapter and by that I mean she takes to gaslighting, emotional manipulation, taking a person's nature and twisting it to fit her own needs.

I'd like to reiterate, Nina is an asshole in this chapter!

There is also mention of self harm and an unorthodox therapy session. The mention of self harm is quite detailed and might be triggering, please skip the chapter if you feel it might be too much for you. Feel free to message me and I'll let you know what plot points you missed.

*

Nina didn't love to repeat herself but she found the same thought circling her brain for the past week, she really hated waking up after passing out. It was one of the worst things in the world, which was why she didn't even bother hiding her pain when she woke up in her bunk at the Playground.

"You're up," Fitz's voice said in surprise, causing Nina to look to her side and find the Scotsman sitting in a chair by her bed.

"Leo? What happened?" Nina asked, her voice a little hoarse. Fitz noticed and offered her the glass of water on her nightstand along with two white circular pills, Nina accepted the water but didn't take the pills. She was certain they were just aspirin but with Garner on the base, she couldn't be too sure.

"You passed out back in Wisconsin," Fitz said, quickly rushing to her side and aiding Nina as she sat up. The specialist didn't shrug off his touch and relaxed into it as she noticed her knee brace had been put back on, "unlike Skye, you didn't need urgent medical care so I brought you back here so you'd be comfortable."

"How is Skye? Is she okay?" Nina immediately asked, her concern for the hacker much greater than the concern for herself.

"She's okay. Her injuries are physical and we know how to deal with them, Simmons has her now," Fitz said, missing the grimace on Nina's face. She still didn't trust that the biochemist had her and Skye's best interests at heart, "I'm more worried about you. Bobbi was freaked out, I didn't think she could get so worried."

"Why was she so worried?" Nina asked confused, cocking her head and running her tongue against her dry lips. She missed Fitz's eyes move to her lips before snapping back to her eyes as he reprimanded his brain for his immediate thoughts, "I've passed out numerous times."

"I know but she said this time it was different. Like something was controlling you," Fitz explained. His words didn't bring out any emotion in Nina as she truly didn't remember anything from Wisconsin after knocking Karla out, "Coulson ordered a brain scan, the images should be developing now."

"You look worried," Nina stated after she nodded and took his words in. Fitz's hands were shaking slightly and she notice that the usual rise and fall of his chest was a little faster.

"Of course I'm worried. When May wheeled you in, you looked pale. Your skin was as cold as ice and your veins were pitch black," Fitz stated, "you looked dead... it brought back memories I'd rather forget."

Nina looked at him, confused for a second before she remembered that Fitz had been in the pod with her and Simmons. He'd held her as she bled out at the bottom of the ocean with zero hope that he'd ever hear her voice again. And though he had, the woman who went in that pod was very different from the one who left.

Looking at Fitz now, seeing how worried he was, made Nina understand that the engineer had been through more than she'd initially realised. And it hurt her heart, that her change was adding more stress on to his shoulders.

"I'm okay, Fitz," Nina decided to say, reaching for his shaking hands and clasping them between her own. She smiled softly at the slight blush that took over his cheeks at the action, "would I ever lie about that?"