21. The First Death

After giving all of her body to Tom, Genevieve couldn't bare to be parted from him, and stuck to him like glue the following day.
So when he decided to open the Chamber of Secrets and set loose the Basilisk on another Mudblood, the following evening, Genevieve went with him, even though she knew it put her in danger. She didn't care if it made her look suspicious, because all she cared about was being by Tom's side.
The pair walked into the girl's bathroom hand in hand, and once they reached the sinks, Tom began speaking Parseltongue to unlock the chamber.
They then stood back and waited for the secret entrance to open.
Once it was, Tom spoke more Parseltongue, summoning the beast to them, so that they didn't have to actually enter the chamber.

Tom and Genevieve then waited for the Basilisk to make its way through the tunnels and join them.
As Genevieve heard the creature approaching, she suddenly heard the click of a lock and the swing of a door.
She gasped as she realised that someone was in the bathroom with them.
Normally they checked the bathroom before opening the chamber, but since it was so late, they hadn't bothered to look around first. And now someone was in there with them.
Whoever it was had just exited one of the stalls, and was making their way straight for Tom and Genevieve.
Tom placed his hand around Genevieve's mouth, and pulled her back quietly towards the door.

Just as the stranger was about to turn the corner and face them, the Basilisk arrived and looked straight at the intruder.
Genevieve watched as a young Ravenclaw girl with pigtails stared at the Basilisk and screamed.
A moment later the girl fell backwards onto the floor.
Tom ordered the Basilisk to return to the Chamber, before quickly closing the entrance.
Him and Genevieve then approached the Ravenclaw girl, who was lying still on the floor with her eyes closed.

"I think she's dead" Genevieve said quietly.
She had seen the petrified victims, and the girl in front of her looked different. She'd also looked right into the Basilisk's eyes, so there was no way she could have survived.
As Genevieve stared closer at the girl, a thought suddenly hit her.
"It's her. She's the girl I saw in my visions last September" revealed Genevieve.
"Are you sure?" Questioned Tom.
"I think so. I mean, I never saw her face in my visions, but from her size and hair style, I'd say that they were the same person" answered Genevieve.

"We have to get out of here" announced Tom.
"Should we tell the headmaster that we just found a body?" Asked Genevieve.
"No. We can't be the ones who found her, as that would appear too suspicious. Besides, there's no logical reason for the two of us to enter a girl's bathroom at this time of day. We have to leave her to be found by someone else" replied Tom.
"But she might not be found until tomorrow morning"
"So?"
"It just seems wrong to leave her dead body alone here, all night"
"Gen, she's dead, she's not going to know that she's alone. Now come on, we have to get back to the common room".

Genevieve allowed Tom to drag her to the Slytherin common room.
Once there, Tom glared at some 2nd first years, making them relinquish their seats, so that Tom and Genevieve could sit down in their favourite corner, far away from prying ears.
"Are you alright?" Tom asked Genevieve, who had a strange expression on her face.
"I'm fine" mumbled Genevieve.
"You don't look it" admitted Tom.
"I know we've attacked people before, but this time feels different. Those other victims were just petrified, and a Mandrake remedy will be given to them any day now, once it's finished being brewed. But this time someone is dead. That young girl's life is over. She will never get to grow up, because of us, and I don't even know her name".

"You know what you signed up for when you became my accomplice. It's only by sheer luck that the other people I attacked didn't die. If I had it my way, all of those Mudbloods would have died" said Tom.
"You don't know for sure that the girl we just killed was a Mudblood, she might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time" replied Genevieve.
"No, she was a Mudblood, I could tell" informed Tom.
"Even if she was, to die in a bathroom, and at such a young age, just feels wrong"
"It's too late now to change anything. She is dead, and you will just have to get over it".

"I wonder what Dippet will do now that someone has died. He won't be able to keep this quiet. The Ministry might even close the school because of this" admitted Genevieve.
Tom frowned, "They wouldn't close Hogwarts because of the death of one student".
"They might, especially if they think more bodies are going to follow. What are we going to do if they do close the school? We will be parted forever"
"It won't come to that, I promise".

"How can you promise me that?" Questioned Genevieve.
"If it comes down to it, I will use a scapegoat and blame our attacks on someone else" revealed Tom.
"Who are you going to pin it on? Me?" Asked Genevieve.
"Don't be stupid"
"Then who?"
"I will have to have a think... Is that giant boy still sneaking down into the dungeons each night?"
"Rubeus Hagrid? Yes, he keeps going down there, probably to visit another deadly pet of his".

Tom smiled, "Good. If Dippet starts talking about closing the school, I will blame the attacks on Hagrid".
"No one is going to believe that a 3rd year Gryffindor, is the heir of Slytherin" replied Genevieve.
"It will be my word against his, and who do you think they are going to believe? A 5th year Prefect, with a perfect record, whom all the staff love? Or a bumbling stupid 3rd year, who's always in trouble for associating himself with dangerous creatures?" Questioned Tom.
Genevieve sighed, "You".
"Exactly. You have nothing to worry about, because neither you or I, are going to get blamed for any of our crimes here at Hogwarts. We are too well loved to get accused of anything" grinned Tom.
"I hope you're right" mumbled Genevieve.