Naturally

More exploration into Donovan and Link's high school years before transferring to Hamilton. Also Link being a cute muffin as usual!

***********************************

Link popped up beside Donovan as he was shoving his textbook into his locker. Donovan glanced at Link.

"Will you skip lunch and go to the drama class auditions with me?" Link asked.

Donovan returned to fitting his books together. "Kelsey Knight isn't going to date you."

"How do you know?" Link asked.

Donovan closed his locker and leaned against it, facing Link.

"Because she's a junior and you're a sophomore. Also, Ethan Jacobs is in drama and he looks like the next Chris Evans."

"I still want to try," Link said.

"It's a musical. You are tone-deaf."

"Then I'll be in the ensemble."

Donovan stared at him and Link looked back, clearly determined to go despite the evidence pointing to the fact that it was futile.

"All right," Donovan said. "Let's go."

Grinning with victory, Link led the way to the school's theater. It was a lavish auditorium with plush velvet red seats and a large, empty stage. Already crowding the first few rows were the hopeful auditioners. Kelsey stood next to Mrs. Hartley, the drama teacher, who welcomed all the eager students. Donovan and Link quickly claimed seats in one of the empty rows.

"This is just the singing portion of the audition," Mrs. Hartley said. "We will get through as many as we can before the bell. When your name is called go on stage and give us all you got."

Kelsey called out a girl's name and a perky girl leapt from her seat and scurried up the steps to the stage. Once there she announced her name and the song she planned to sing.

Before she began, she lifted her gaze to the rest of the theater's audience. When she noticed Donovan, she froze and her face flushed red.

"Any time you're ready," Mrs. Hartley prompted.

When the girl continued to stare at Donovan and he stared back, Kelsey too glanced his way, which encouraged others to do as well until half of the students had found Donovan sitting behind them.

Finally, the girl on stage managed to start singing, though her voice shook and wasn't very loud. When she finished, Mrs. Hartley thanked her and the girl hurried off the stage.

As the next student took the girl's place, Kelsey slipped from her spot and trailed back to where Donovan and Link sat. Sitting on the armrest of the chair in front of Donovan, she leaned in.

"Hey, Donovan," she said.

Donovan greeted her with his customary silence.

"Are you auditioning?" she asked.

Donovan shook his head.

"Okay, then do you mind leaving?" she asked.

This surprised Donovan. "Why?"

"Because some of the girls are nervous about auditioning with you watching."

"But aren't they supposed to be used to people watching them?"

"Yes, but there's apparently something about your intense blue-eyed stare that flusters them. Also, they're okay with average-looking audiences and well..."

Donovan thought this was ridiculous, but looked to Link. Link was looking at Kelsey, resigned.

"I never would have gotten your notice, would I?" he asked.