July: When it Rains

Chris POV

  I'd like to blame my restlessness on the moon light shining through the curtains into the guest room but lying to myself wouldn't change the fact that I placed a great deal of stress on Daphne's shoulders last night. Looking back at my bride I think of our last conversation.

   "For how long?" Daphne asks timidly.

   I shake my head, unsure of the answer to such an easy question. "I have no idea. I don't know why he's doing it. Maybe Hayden pissed him off one too many times this week."

   "Maybe it's just to refresh you a bit. You've been strictly on the medic side for the last year almost. Maybe he just wants to make sure you don't get rusty," she says in an attempt to make sense of the nonsensical situation.

   "Who knows," I say as I hold her closer to me. I can feel that her body language has changed. She's become tense since I told her, almost a rigidity has taken over. "But, no matter which truck I'm on, one thing doesn't change."  I gently stroke her back.

  "What's that?" She whispers against my neck.

   "I come home to you," I remind her before bringing her lips closer to mine.

   Daphne hums against my lips but her body doesn't relax. I make an attempt to deepen the kiss but still she feels stiff. Before I make any other effort she pulls back, resting her head on her pillow, but still against my side.

  "One thing will definitely change."

   I look at her, questioning what she means.

   "My prayer life is about to become much stronger," she says with a sad smile before closing her eyes.

   Giving up on sleep for now I decide to go out onto the back deck. I realize it's a full moon as I see it's reflection shimmer over the top of the ocean. I bypass the deck chairs and go a little further, sitting on the bottom step, just shy of the sand.

 I bypass the deck chairs and go a little further, sitting on the bottom step, just shy of the sand

It's July in Florida so there's no such thing as a cool breeze, even along the coast.

The beach has been a comfort spot for me since I was young, kind of like the mountains for Daphne. Hearing the rhythmic crash of the waves against the shore calms me. I realize now that I get that same feeling from Daphne. She keeps me centered the same way the ocean use to.

   I'd never admit this to Daphne, but I'm scared. I had no issues being a firefighter before. I've run into burning buildings dozens of times. But that was all before Daphne. When the only person I held connection with was myself. Now the fear of not returning home to my wife, and God willing one day our children, has gripped my heart.

  My eyes cast back towards the sky as I lift a silent prayer of safety over this newest venture as I feel the betrayal of my emotions slide down my cheek.