27

The night of the event was approaching. Quickly.

Everyone was inside, Jimin hosting some pre-get together before the mission.

Well, everyone except Maria.

The air was a little chilly, and Maria lifted the hood of her sweatshirt over her head. It was actually Jimin's, but she knew he didn't mind.

Maria sighs, leaning her hips against the railing and watching the sun color the sky in pretty colors as it starts to set. She should probably be inside with the others, but she had too much on her mind.

"Hey, sweetheart," Namjoon says, causing her to flinch in surprise. The elder simply chuckled and leaned his forearms on the railing next to her. "Thoughts going too fast?"

"How did you know?" she asks, a frown tugging at her lips.

"You're about to have your first kill," Namjoon says simply, turning around and leaning his back on the railing. "I'd be surprised if you weren't overthinking it."

"I just don't know how to feel," she explains, looking up at him. "I want to do this. I know I do. But the old me... the innocent girl I used to be is fighting against me. Like this is the last strike and then I'll never be normal again."

Namjoon smirks a bit, crossing his arms over his chest. "Look at us, sweetheart. You think we're normal?"

Maria cracks a smile, shaking her head. "I guess not."

"Listen," Namjoon sighs. "It's okay to feel weird about it. That's fine. What's not fine is you feeling like you still have to listen to that little girl who was abused into the perfect, porcelain doll. What's she got on you, huh? She's nothing compared to who you are now."

"You think?" Maria asks shyly.

"I know so," Namjoon says matter-of-factly. "You've got some sharp claws on you. I know you can be truly incredible if you just let yourself go."

Maria stays quiet, soaking in his words.

"I'll get back to the gang," Namjoon smiles, nudging his head towards the door.

As he started walking away, he was surprised when her hand wrapped around his wrist.

"Thank you," she says, her eyes showing her sincerity. "And I'm sorry. For lashing out on you last time."

"Don't worry about it, little kitty," he grins. "You aggravate the cat and you get scratched."

When the two emerge back inside, Jimin pulls her into his side and kisses her hard. Maria whines in surprise before sighing into his mouth, too lost in the kiss to notice that Jimin had slipped something into her hand.

"Get in there, baby," he smirks against her lips, spinning her around and smacking her ass.

Maria giggles, holding her bat close as she heads into the living room. Everyone was there, talking and laughing with one another, and as Jimin sat next to her on the couch, his arm wrapping around her shoulders, she felt her heart swell in her chest.

Because this—this was family. Hobi doing weird shit to make Yoongi laugh, Iris scolding Namjoon for breaking his plastic fork, and Taehyung and Jimin laughing together about god knows what.

This was her family now. And in a few days, when they worked together for the mission, she knew all of them had her back. Just like she did theirs.

***

The night of the event was approaching. Quickly.

Jungkook looked out his apartment window with his arms folded over his chest. He was wearing a tanktop and sweatpants, usual pajama attire, as he looked out at the overview of the city.

Maria would be there. In, hopefully, the dress he picked out for her.

He didn't understand why he felt so connected to her. She was Jimin's, after all, and he knew better than to take something, or in this case, someone, that didn't belong to him.

Still, she had to be the prettiest person he had ever seen. And even after only speaking to her a few times, he liked her personality. She was just... perfect.

But she belonged to that damn Park.

Jungkook tsks, walking towards his bed before sitting on the side of it. He places his elbows on his knees and lets his head fall down between his shoulders.

He remembers when he, Jimin, and Taehyung were all friends. When they would run around and do stupid shit because they thought they were invincible.

And Jimin and Taehyung still thought they were. But Jungkook, he grew up.

And that's what Jungkook wanted for Maria too. He wanted to help her open her eyes and realize that she couldn't keep living in this fantasy that Jimin has spun for her.

No, it was Jungkook's job to save people. And Maria, well...

She needed to be saved.