29

The little bell to the cafe doors chime as Maria walks in, and she sees Jungkook wave his hand to gain her attention. She walks towards him before sitting down opposite of him, smiling a bit at the drink sitting there waiting for her.

"I hope you don't mind," Jungkook says, rubbing the back of his neck. "I, uh—well, you were drinking it the last time we were here."

"Thank you," she says softly, taking a small sip of the drink.

Jungkook nods and lets out a sigh, shifting forward in his seat. "It was poison."

Maria blinks several times and frowns. "What?"

"Your father was poisoned," Jungkook says sadly, placing a hand on hers. "I'm sorry."

Maria gasps in horror, forcing tears to her eyes. "Did you... did you find out who did it?"

"Maria," he says softly, holding her hand. "Your father killed himself."

Maria lets out a pathetic cry and Jungkook immediately stands, helping her to her feet to give her a comforting hug.

"It doesn't make sense," Jungkook frowns, eyebrows pinched. "Everyone's calling me crazy, but I don't think he would do that. I mean, a man as powerful as he was, taking his own life at his own party?"

Maria stays quiet, and Jungkook smiles sadly. "Sorry, you probably don't want to hear that."

As Jungkook went to pull away, Maria curled her fingers into the back of his shirt and held him closer. Jungkook immediately wrapped his arms around her tighter, not wanting to let her go.

"He was really mean, Jungkook," Maria whispers, shutting her eyes tightly. "Really mean."

"Mean?" Jungkook frowns. "What do you mean?"

Maria gulps, pulling back slightly. Jungkook searches her eyes, finding fear and... relief, of some kind.

"I should go," she says quietly, grabbing the drink. "Thank you."

Jungkook nods, watching her go with a new burst of curiosity.

Why was her father mean? What did he do to her? Why did she look scared?

But then, Jungkook wondered if his questions even mattered. Because, after all, the man was dead.

***

The knock on his door was unexpected, and Jimin crept forward with his gun quietly. Maria was out with Iris, something about getting ice cream as a celebration for a successful mission, so Jimin was alone.

Until now, of course.

Jimin keeps the gun behind him as he cracks the door open, and he scowls at the face on the other side. "Why are you here?"

"We need to talk," the ravenette says.

Jimin sighs, starting to close the door.

"Wait! It's about Maria!"

Jimin pauses, sliding the gun into the back of his waistband before opening the door more. "What about her?"

"Listen, I know we aren't on the best of terms right now, but can I just come in?" Jungkook says.

Jimin rolls his eyes, moving aside to let the ravenette in.

Jungkook sits on the couch and looks around, his eyebrows raising in surprise. Jimin was very well off, and it seemed like he was doing fine in life.

"So what's this about?" Jimin asks, sitting on the opposite couch.

"I met with her at the cafe," Jungkook starts. "To tell her the cause of death. I don't know if she..."

"Told me?" Jimin raises an eyebrow. "She did. She's with a friend right now so she can try and feel better."

A blatant lie, but Jungkook doesn't have to know that.

Jungkook nods. "It's just that... she said something about her father being mean?"

"He was," Jimin spits, his eyes darkening. "He was a disgusting man. You didn't know him, Jungkook. You didn't know the things he did to her."

Jungkook swallows, a frown tugging at his lips. "Like what?"

"It's not my place to say," Jimin says. "I know you think you're privileged to this information because you're a cop, but-"

"I didn't come here as a cop!" Jungkook snaps.

"Then why are you here?" Jimin presses, his voice raising.

"Because I care!" Jungkook shouts.

They both fell silent after that. And despite being so opposite, despite being on the opposite sides of morality, they did share one thing in common.

They really did miss each other.

"It's been awhile, hasn't it?" Jungkook says softly, smiling sadly.

Jimin lowers his gaze. "You didn't want us anymore."

"That's not true," Jungkook defends. "I didn't want you to go down that path anymore."

"You told us to get out," Jimin snaps.

Again, silence.

Jungkook bites the inside of his cheek before continuing. "How's Taehyung?"

"Crazy," Jimin grins. "And his art is even better now."

"I bet," Jungkook chuckles fondly. "He was always drawing when we were kids."

There was a silence that fell upon them, but this time, it wasn't strained. It was a remembrance of the past, before they grew up and things became complicated.

"Hey, Jimin?" Jungkook says as he stands by the door, hesitant to leave. 

Jimin hums, cocking his head to the side.

"I'm sorry," Jungkook says, and he smiles at the shocked face of the elder. "And it was good to see you again."

Jimin smiles, his eyes softening. "Thank you for stopping by, Jungkookie."