43 • Festive Normalcy

Inori hummed a random tune as she watered her garden. Her estate had grown beautifully since the day Kagaya gave it to her. She and Mitsuri often have picnics in her garden due to how serene it was, almost always inviting the girls of the Butterfly Estate too. Muichiro was also often seen sitting on the edge of her waterfall pond, feeding the fish or just staring at the butterflies.

Even Sanemi often stopped by because the beetles found in her garden were beautiful, or so he claimed them to be. That, or he would visit just to demand a spar—a session of technique development training, as they always put it. Kyojuro was also a loyal visitor of her estate, often coming with Senjuro.

Even with her busy schedule as a pillar, Inori always tried to keep her garden in good condition. She put a lot of love and care into her new home, and she considered it a blissful normalcy she was allowed to indulge in amidst the uncertain lifestyle of being a demon slayer.

"Are you still learning how to swim?" Inori lifted her head from the asters she was tending, seeing Muichiro enter her garden with his head tilted to the side. "Why? I thought you hate deep waters?"

Inori chuckled at his adorable expression. "I didn't expect you to remember that, especially after the whole fight two demon moons at the same time fiasco."

"I don't remember why." Muichiro crouched beside her, observing the flowers with dazed eyes. "I just remember you hating deep waters."

"I still hate them." Inori stood up, walking to the pond with Muichiro in tow. She handed him the pack of fish pellets, letting him feed the fish. "But just because I have a bad memory of nearly drowning doesn't mean I should let myself drown for real. I'm just learning how to not drown, it's not like I'm going to voluntarily hunt demons in the middle of the sea again."

Muichiro didn't give a verbal reply, but Inori didn't mind. She enjoyed the silence as much as she enjoyed talking with Muichiro. She leaned her head to rest on his shoulder, humming in delight when his hand immediately raked through her hair, loosening the braids and butterfly hairpin.

Inori closed her eyes, feeling her muscles relax just by being near Muichiro. She breathed out a sigh of relief. She leaned her body until her head was resting on Muichiro's lap. He didn't seem to mind the position, just continuing to comb through her hair with one hand and feed her fish with the other.

"Do you have a mission, Mui?"

Muichiro nodded, his eyes still focused on the gathering fish. "It's near here, so I'm going to head out later."

"I see. Good luck." Inori yawned. The soft white noises of water flowing and birds chirping felt like a lullaby. Inori closed her eyes, relishing the summer breeze. Her body relaxed, releasing all the tension being awake brought her as she dozed off to the land of dreams.

Muichiro stopped throwing pellets into the pond when soft snores were heard. He looked down at the girl sleeping on his lap. Combing his fingers through her hair, he untangled the wavy knots. Muichiro felt his lips tilting into a smile when Inori unconsciously hummed, snuggling even closer to his hand. Inori looked so peaceful, and that made him peaceful too.

How he wished peaceful moments like this could last for eternity.

"Hey kid, are you home, I ne—am I interrupting something?" Muichiro glared at the intruder, his glare intensifying when Inori stirred. "Oh? Is she sleeping now? That's rare. And you two are looking very lovey-dovey, did something happen?"

"What are you doing here?" Muichiro ignored Tengen's question, making sure to keep his voice low. "And shut up, she just fell asleep, and you're going to wake her up with that obnoxious voice of yours."