48 • Trial by the Demon Slayer Pillars

Tanjiro stared at the towering figures in front of him with wide eyes. Pillars? What the heck are pillars? What are they talking about? Who are these people? Where am I?

"This is the headquarters of the demon slayers," Shinobu explained upon noticing his confused expression. "You are on trial right now, Kamado Tanjiro-kun."

"There's no need for a trial!" Kyojuro exclaimed with his usual smile. "Protecting a demon is clearly a violation of the codes of conduct. We are within our own rights to deal with this ourselves! Our job is to exterminate all demons!"

"Then, let me perform the decapitation flamboyantly," Tengen proposed. "I'll show you all I can spray blood more flamboyantly than anyone else. I will make it the maximum flamboyance of all flamboyance."

Eh? We're going to kill such a cute child? Mitsuri looked troubled at the mere thought. My chest hurts so much. It fills me with so much anguish.

"Ah...what a sorrowful child. How pitiful." Tears streamed down Gyomei's face as he chanted some prayers that did nothing to ease Tanjiro's mind. "The poor soul. It's so pitiful that I pity their very birth into this world."

What is the shape of that cloud again? What are they called again? Muichiro didn't even bother paying attention to the scene in front of him, knowing he would forget about it soon. I should ask Inori—ah, she's asleep. He stared at the Star Pillar, who was curled into a ball on the highest branch of the tree Obanai was on. When did she get up there?

"Forget about that, what are we going to do to Tomioka? I have a headache seeing him not bound there." Obanai pointed an accusatory finger at the Water Pillar. "According to Kocho and Hoshizora, Tomioka is just as guilty for breaking the code of conduct." He raised his finger, glaring at Giyu. "How will we deal with him? How will we make him take responsibility? What punishment are we going to give him?" At that point, he just wanted to see Giyu punished. "Why don't you try saying something, Tomioka?"

Iguro-san, you're as menacing as usual, like a snake. But you're so reliable, which is very splendid. Mitsuri internally squealed, turning to see Giyu standing far away from the rest of them, like a lonely outcast. Tomioka-san is all alone. He's keeping his distance. How adorable.

"Well, it's fine, isn't it? He followed us without causing too much trouble, right, Inori-chan—oh, my. She's asleep. Okay, then." Shinobu's words brought attention to the Star Pillar who they didn't even notice had climbed the tree. "More importantly, rather than Tomioka-san, we should be questioning this boy."

"When did she—you know what, I won't even ask." Obanai stared up at Inori's curled form, not even questioning how she could find that position comfortable. He ignored Kaburamaru who decided to slither towards Inori, having grown used to it, and turned his attention back to Tanjiro, who was currently being given some water and painkillers by Shinobu.

Inori-chan is asleep. How rare. She looks like a cat. So adorable. Mitsuri stared up at Inori with hearts in her eyes, internally fawning. She only turned away when Tanjiro started talking.

"My little sister was turned into a demon, but she has never eaten anyone before." That little piece of information garnered the pillars' attention, though it did nothing to convince them. "Up until now and from now on, she will never hurt a living person."

"Don't spit out stupid rash remarks so recklessly." Obanai pointed an accusatory finger at him. "For starters, of course you'll protect your own family. I can't trust anything you're saying, and I certainly won't trust it either."

"Ah, you're obsessed with the demon," Gyomei lamented, more tears streaming down his eyes. "Let's kill this pitiful child quickly and let him go to the stars where he can be free from all his sufferings."