72 • Attack of Two Waxing Moons

Muichiro grabbed onto a branch, stopping himself from pummeling into the ground. Wow. He threw me out really far just now. He ran through the forest, wiping the blood trickling down the cut on his cheek. Anyways, the orders he received...turn Inori into a demon, huh? He clicked his tongue. There's no way Inori will let that happen, but I need to get back now.

A scream alerted him of a boy who was being chased by a fish demon. That kid...he's probably an apprentice, so he isn't skilled and has no experience whatsoever. There's really no need to save him. He glanced at the unsightly fish with human hands sprouting out of it. Judging from its presence, that demon's not even real, just a blood demon art. I have no reason to stop here. If the whole village is probably attacked right now, I have to prioritize saving the chief and the more skilled ones.

Just then, someone's—Inori's voice—whispered into his mind, cutting past the mist and brightening his path—"Having compassion for others will form a connection between your lives and theirs. Those connections may end up saving your life in the future."—and Muichiro found himself changing directions.

It's irrational. Muichiro thought as he chopped off the demon's head. How can having compassion for others benefit me? How can connections save my life? How can someone weaker than me be of help to me? Despite his thoughts, Muichiro still shielded the young swordsmith.

"You're in the way, so get out of here."

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"Attack! Demons! Run! The village is under attack! Grab the pillar's swords! Protect the clan leaders! Save the chief!" One of the swordsmiths slammed the hammer onto the bell as loudly as he could, warning the other villagers of the situation. "Call for the demon slayers—gah!"

Inori backflipped mid-air, slamming her sock-clad feet into the pot on the demon fish's back. Swinging her borrowed sword, she sliced the pot off, saving the swordsmith in the bell tower from becoming a demon fish meal.

"Hoshizora-dono!"

Her breath hitched as she felt her wounds reopening. Inori immediately controlled her breaths, tightening her blood vessels and muscles. There was no time to rest, especially not when the entire village was being attacked by disgusting demonic fishes.

Pots. It's probably Upper Moon Five. Inori gripped her borrowed sword, dreading its chipped and slightly rusted state. Sanemi hadn't used this sword for years, so it was only natural for it to be in that condition, but Inori cursed the fact that it was the only sword available in such a dire situation. First off, I need to find a decent sword.

Star Breathing: Thirteenth Constellation: Coils of the Serpent Bearer, Five Heads

Grabbing the swordsmith on the bell tower, she ran through the roof, cutting the pots of multiple fish scaling all over the rooftops. Landing onto the ground with him just as she cut off another demon fish, she swiftly deposited him onto another villager.

"Treat the injured and evacuate!" Shoving most of her supply of bandages and medicine to one of the villagers, she instructed the swordsmiths to treat the wounded. "I'll get rid of the demon, so just focus on evacuating!"

"A pillar's here! We're safe!"

"I kind of forgot she was strong since she was so young and cute."

"Hoshizora-dono! Thank you!"

"Get out of the village!" Inori clicked her tongue at the crack on the blade she was holding. "I'll save the chief! Leave the demons to me and get out! Prioritize the medicines for the heavily wounded! Kanamaru, call for help from the other pillars! Tell them there are two upper moons here!"