80 • Catastrophe

Inori wasn't so arrogant as to think she could defeat Kokushibo alone. She knew that the best she could do was stall him or weaken him until backup arrived, and even that seemed impossible for her. Tsugikuni Michikatsu may not be Yoriichi, but he was still a swordsman who has been perfecting his skills for centuries.

"We meet again, Yoriichi's disciple." Kokushibo narrowed his eyes. "Hm. It seems like you've grown stronger in the short time we didn't meet. I'm impressed. Your body has been further refined, and you're not trembling anymore."

Inori took a deep breath. She knew this feeling. The sensation of a burning fire warming her from the inside, spreading to the tips of her fingers and lighting every one of her nerves. She knew that the mark had appeared on her face by now.

Star Breathing: Thirteenth Constellation: Coils of the Serpent Bearer, Nine Heads

Moon Breathing: Third Form: Loathsome Moon, Chains

"Huh. Impressive." Kokushibo watched as Inori's attack deflected his own seamlessly. "However, I no longer have the order to capture you. My order is to turn you into a demon, something I can do even after I chop you to pieces."

Moon Breathing: Sixth Form: Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon-Incessant

Star Breathing: Eleventh Constellation: Tsunami of the Water Bearer

Inori sliced through the chaotic array of crescent moon slashes, pushing through them until she stood in front of Kokushibo. Before the demon could attack again, she backflipped away. The poison-laced blades in her boots sliced through the demon's eyes.

Star Breathing: Second Constellation—

Moon Breathing: Fifth Form: Moon Spirit Calamitous Eddy

Shit. Inori jumped away from the attack, deflecting all the crescent moon slashes that couldn't be avoided. Blood trickled from the cuts he made. Oh, stars. Please tell me you're joking. Even if it didn't work, the poison should've at least weakened him. No matter how small the effects are, there should at least be something.

"Poison?" Kokushibo clicked his tongue, veins popping all over his neck. The skin around his eyes was inflamed, the only visible sign that the poison worked. "Such a cowardly tactic. Is this what Yoriichi taught you? You're a disgrace to his name."

That's because I'm weak. I can't beat you with strength alone, so I have to resort to this. Inori gritted her teeth, pushing the blades back into her boots. Besides, who cares if it's underhanded as long as it gets the job done? Of course, Inori didn't voice that out loud.

"Disgrace?" Inori scoffed, glaring at the demon. "I wasn't the one who betrayed my friends and family over stupid jealousy. No wait, that's not it." She tilted her head to the side, sneering. "You weren't just jealous of Yoriichi-sama, you were so blinded by your desire to become the strongest that you abandoned everything."

"You people who feel no jealousy towards others are simply blessed with good luck. You've never met someone like him, so how could you possibly understand?" Kokushibo sneered back. "Yoriichi is someone who lives with the favor of the Gods on his side. He shines like the sun and burns everything around him."

"Funny. I'm his disciple so I think I've had the blessing of meeting someone as amazing as him, yet you don't see me kneeling and begging for someone to turn me into a six-eyed freak," retorted the Star Pillar. "But you're right. Yoriichi-sama is the sun. He's blessed by the Gods and everyone praises his talents." Inori pursed her lips, glaring into Kokushibo's numbered eyes. "But to be the sun is to burn alone. Isn't that just sad?"