Chapter 5

Bunnymund's POV

We pass overhead Jack and Sandman starting to fight the nightmares. North crashes into some things. North keeps dozing off due to the Dream-sand. After another scrape on the top of a building, he startles awake again.

Sandy uses his sand to burst into the air like a water-spout, dragging Jack with him, then tosses Jack away.

Jack knocks a few Nightmares away, but falls a little before

Pitch laughs as he directs the Nightmares. I jump off the sleigh, attacking during freefall. I land on the street and slash through some Nightmares with a knife as well as throw my boomerang at them and bash some of them with my huge feet.

I jump back into the air to latch onto the sleigh, driving it while North attacks with his swords from the front.

Two Nightmares come after Jack, so he just drops through the air and lets them run into each other. Another Nightmare attacks and he loses his staff, grasping for it during freefall before landing back on the sleigh.

"You might wanna duck." I warn him.

Bunny's boomerang comes careening back through a Nightmare and he catches it out of thin air, grinning at Jack.

Sandy is all alone on his cloud, surrounded by a tornado of black sand that he keeps whipping to no avail. North sits down on the sleigh again, I quickly move out of the way so North can steer.

"We gotta help Sandy!" Jack yells. North drives the sleigh in that direction.

Pitch pulls the string of an invisible bow, using an arrow-head shaped out of black sand aimed at Sandy. It hits Sandy right between the shoulder-blades. My eyes widen. No, not Sandy.

Jack screams. "Nooo!" He launches himself off the sleigh towards Sandman. Pitch laughs menacingly while Sandman turns to face him.

Pitch laughs some more after he says. "Don't fight the fear, little man."

North tries to go faster. "Hurry! Hurry!"

"I'd say sweet dreams, but there aren't any left." Pitch smirks.

Sandman stands up, closes his eyes, and the swirling black sand closes in on his glowing yellow light, snuffing it out.

"Sandy?" North calls questioning.

Jack yells once more. "No... NOOO!!" Jack races towards Pitch, but halts in mid-air as he looks at the horde of Nightmares. They close in on him, but from where Jack is comes a bright blue light that pushes back against the Nightmares. Jack clutches the staff forward and a darting ice-light ripples through the Nightmares. They explode into black sand like fireworks over the city, knocking Pitch away with a scream.

North yells his name as Tooth catches him as he falls, setting him down in the sleigh.

Tooth questions Jack. "Jack, h-how did you do that?"

Jack stutters out an answer "I, I, I- I didn't know I could." He looks at all of us with wide eyes.

At The North Pole

Tooth places a glass lantern on the Guardian symbol, where Sandman's likeness is. She looks over at North, who shuts his eyes in grief. She looks over at Bunny, who offers her his paw. Then she offers her hand to North, who takes it.

All around the symbol are other lights; the Yetis stand by, as do the elves. They nod their heads, making the bells chime, creating a dirge for the Sandman. One yeti sniffs, and is comforted by another yeti.