14. encounters

014

014

As the night unfolded, each of them separated from the group.

Some guys headed over to the bar with other friends that they had made in the past, while some stayed at their seats from before.

The maknae line stayed together, chatting on the armchairs.

Devora made a trip to the bathroom, seeing other ladies there freshening up themselves.

Looking in the mirror, she began to notice how warm it was getting in there.

She thought about taking off her cardigan. But, under the sleeves of the enclosed thin sweater was a spaghetti strap dress.

Devora noticed other girls in the restroom also wore sleeveless outfits, and they wore them with such confidence, carrying themselves with high shoulders and elated expressions.

Oddly enough, it gave Devora the courage to remove her black sweater.

There were a couple of reasons as to why she constantly wore sleeves everywhere she went.

One is that she had a couple of tattoos on her arms, and some on the back of her shoulders and back. That was just part of it, though.

She was always very insecure about her arms.

They were outlined like she had muscles, and her shoulders were a little on the wide side, not petite like how other women have theirs.

The only good thing was that her shoulders went proportioned with the rest of her body. She wasn't exactly skinny. Her body wasn't like the expectations many people idealized.

Devora had always been on the thicker side when she was a child. From elementary school, all the way to her first years of high school.

She received condescending and malevolent remarks whenever she was on school grounds, never comfortable enough to eat in front of others without fear breathing down on her neck pressuring her, telling her that others were watching, and assessing her.

It defiled any of her hopes for confidence. It wasn't until she took it upon herself to fix what she wanted to be changed.

Keeping herself at the goal weight she wanted, not the weight others wanted to see her at.

Devora sighed, in hopes to exhale any pessimistic views.

She fixed her hair, layering it over her arms and shoulders to have some coverage.

Taking in a deep breath before stepping out into the music-filled room, keeping her purse close by her body.

Devora traced back to the authentic leather armchair, her rigid body decompressed into the curves of the cushions.

Some of the members took note of her reappearance, keeping a secure eye on her to make sure she was okay.

Jungkook sat his glass down, coughing on the liquid that tickled his throat when he recognized that Devora was the woman who exited the bathroom.

She looked different when she wasn't in something that had sleeves to keep her arms covered.

Jungkook's focused eyes brushed the curves of her figure, watching her indulge against the seat with a purse in her hand. His shoe tapped the ground rhythmically, the edge of the cup sat on his lap, his fingers tracing the rim of the glass.

His elbow sat on the arm of the chair, his fist balled against his cheek.

Something urged him to go up and talk to her, he had been dithered all night when he should go and sit with her. To get a chance to get to know more about her.

Before he was able to get off his seat, an unfamiliar woman hovered over Devora.

"Hey!" Her voice was rippled with enthusiasm. "I hope I'm not bugging you, but do you think you could watch my drink while I use the bathroom?"

Devora agreed, happy to watch her drink. "Of course I can! I'll guard it with my life."

"Ah, Okay!" She applauded. "I'll be back soon, I promise!" The woman in heels hurried her way to the bathroom.

Devora noticed a pair of eyes that seemed to be washing over her, looking up to meet eyes with Jungkook.

She gave him a wide smile, waving.

He gave her a thumbs-up, his eyebrows raised in question that asked if she was doing okay.

Devora was grateful for his awareness, as well as for the other guys. They all checked up on her as the night went on, constantly making sure she was comfortable.

She set his concerns aside, reassuring Jungkook that she was doing just fine. Her eyes followed to the left of him, catching a glimpse of both Jimin and Tae — waving at them, cheeks dimpled.

The kind woman came back for her drink, Devora's attention redirecting from the two guys sitting ahead of her.

"That's Devora, isn't it?" Jimin questioned, looking over at Jungkook.

He nodded, sipping his beer.

"Wow, she looks great." His elbow pushed against Jungkook's solid bicep, "Right?" Jimin razzed his dongsaeng.

Jungkook felt his cheeks glow a fervent red, shaking his head at Jimin's attempt to embarrass him. "I mean... she always looks good."

Taehyung gave a boxy smile, lightly tapping Jimin from Jungkook's comment.

"How cute." Tae pondered out loud. "Why don't you go talk to her?"

Jungkook looked up at Devora, she was still talking to the woman who handed her the drink to watch.

"Awe, he's too shy." Jimin teased further, the corners of his cheeks squished adorably as he gave a wide smile.

"Better hurry before some other guy tries talking to her." Taehyung muttered, drinking the rest of his beer.

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚