31.1: Life Is Good

Chapter 31

Chapter 31.1: Life Is Good cont...
Dave

Dave heard a voice that he hadn't heard in months talking back to him. By now he already knew exactly who it was and April was now all the way tuned in and alert. Nonetheless he braced himself and accepted the call wondering what the fuck she wanted because these days they had nothing to talk about. The one person they did have a reason to talk Millie hadn't been interested in her since the day Dave called it quits for the final and last time.

"Hello" he said as he eased out of the chair then signaled for April to do the same. Once she was up he grabbed her hand and led her away from everyone's earshot especially Kairi's. She didn't need to be a part of her mother's fuckery anymore.

She sighed. "Hey I know I'm the last person you want to talk to right now but I really need to hear Kairi's voice" Millie said sounding a little defeated. She didn't sound like her usual up to no good self. She sounded like she might actually be having a bad or off day but that wasn't Dave's problem well she wasn't Dave's problem anymore.

Dave pulled the phone away from his face and looked at it as if it was crazy then placed it on speaker phone. Maybe he had heard wrong. He had to. He hadn't heard a single word or a peep from Millie since New Years night when shit hit the fan not even a tell Kairi I love her when she thought her life was about to end. She had been in Edna Mahan Correctional Facility since January 2nd the morning after and never once called to speak to Kairi which was honestly understandable after the last stunt she pulled. Who would call up the person they wronged like that? It wasn't like she had started another petty IG argument. She had helped plan and paid for a hit on his woman so calling him was something she was avoiding. Let alone before that she had long stopped calling for or even checking up on Kairi. She literally hadn't seen her since her third birthday. Kairi hadn't seen her face or heard her voice in a year and three months going on four and now she was calling out of the blue of all days asking to speak to her.

Dave pinched the bridge of his nose. He really didn't know how he felt about them talking but what he did know was that he was conflicted and he had every reason to be. Sure the only reason Millie had been kept alive was so she would be able to have some type of relationship with Kairi but now that she was calling to actually speak to her he didn't know what to do. Then Kairi's fourth birthday had recently passed and even still with Millie having no excuse to call her she still hadn't. All this time April hadn't said a word. She just stood there listening. He knew she was completely off Millie but right now it wasn't about him or her. It was about Kairi and did they want her to speak to Millie at the moment or even at all.

"Why" he asked before even thinking but shit it was a damn good question. Why after a year and three months had she wanted to finally talk to her. She had every opportunity in the world to play her role and each and every single time she dropped the ball. So why was this time any different? Dave didn't have time for her to play with Kairi's emotions again especially with her experiencing panic attacks.