.9. stream

I drive up to the school and wait in the parking lot. Dream was on a business call with someone important that lasted longer than expected, so he asked for me to come pick Drista up from school.

I see her start to make her way back to the parking lot. She opens the car door. "Hey," she says, taking her backpack off before getting in.

"Hey, how was school?" I ask, still amazed that she could be in middle school. I remember when she was six years old and starting kindergarten. Now she's so old.

Now she makes me feel old, actually.

I pull out of the school parking lot. She tells me a story about something that happened at lunch. "And then we were taking-" she turns around to look in the back seat, "wait, where's Nick?"

"Hm?" I ask, paying attention to the car in front of me that keeps speeding up and then slowing way down.

"Nick is the one who texted that you'd be picking me up. I assumed that meant you and him in your car." She says, turning to face the road again.

"Nope, hate to break it to you, but it's just me," I shrug. Nick was up in his room editing something. Clay sent me a message on discord and pointed to his computer as he was talking on the phone. "Wait, he couldn't have even told you himself that he wouldn't be here?"

"I guess not, I definitely got the text from Nick," she picks up her phone to check, "yeah like thirty minutes ago."

"You better get on to Clay about lacking on his brotherly duties, okay?" I say with a little laugh.

"Oh, I definitely will."

I shake my head thinking of Nick having to text her.

It's been about a week or two since Nick and I decided to be friends. It hasn't been too bad. Except for the fact that everytime he says my name I get butterflies or the fact that I feel sparks everytime our hands accidentally touch.

Actually it's pure torture.

When I realized I couldn't have Nick, I learned the depth of my feelings. He's an amazing guy, really. And all this friends stuff is making it harder to ignore my feelings as we get closer. But I also don't want to stop being friends.

"They're streaming by the way," Drista says as we park in the driveway, "they sent me a text."

I nod, unbuckling my seatbelt.

We're quiet as we enter the house. I set my keys on the counter. Drista starts to walk to Clay's room.

"What are you doing?" I whisper loudly as we were very close to Dream's set up. We're technically supposed to be really quiet and not bother them while they're streaming. It's sort of an unspoken rule.

"I'm going to sit in the back and bug him. Want to come?" she has a mischievous smile on her face.

Would that annoy him? Yes. Do I really care? Not really.

"Of course," I say, following her lead.

We walk into the room. Dream looks up from his computer. He gives us annoyed eyes then points to his screen to tell us he's streaming without words.

I sit on the bed, but Drista goes and stands next to him.

"Can I say hi?" she whispers next to him.

"No, shoo," he whispers, leaning from the mic. I can barely hear him, but I could read his lips.

"Please?" She puts her hands together as she begs, "I want to say hi,"