Love at First Letter - 23

PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE BOTTOM!

Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate it.

Love at First Letter

Chapter 23

Brett and I were still sat on the tailgate of his truck in the middle of the mudhole. We didn't say anything, my head was in his chest and his hand ran up and down my spine. I ignored the tingles that his fingertips left and took a deep breath. I had wasted all of my tears and had nothing left to cry. My arms were wrapped around Brett's waist and his around my shoulder. I was flushed up against his side and he placed a soft kiss to the side of my head.

"I know you don't want to hear this right now, but I think him getting discharged is a good thing."

"Because now you get to have his spot?" I asked him, sitting up straight and staring him in the eye. "You get an upgrade because my uncle can't do something he loves."

"That is not what I'm talking about and you know it."

He was right, which I hated admitting. "I'm sorry,"

Brett just wrapped his arm around my waist and brought me up against him. His lips found my cheek and lingered on my skin. I smiled up at him. "It's a good thing because his family needs him right now, especially with everything you've told me about it. Your cousin, needs him there. She may be asleep right now, but when she wakes up she's going to want her whole family there for her."

"You're right." I nod my head. "You always seem to know just what to say."

He shrugged his shoulders and pecked my lips twice. "I'm aware." I punched his shoulder and chuckled at him. "Come on." Brett jumps down from the tailgate and hold his arms out before helping me down onto the ground. We stood there, his hands on my waist, and simply looked at each other. "You really are beautiful, even covered in mud."

"Why thank you," I say to him and stand on my toes. I peck his lips and grab the cowboy hat off the top of his head and place it on mine. I take a step back and put one hand on my hip. "How do you I look?"

"Country." He said, taking a step towards me and snaking his arms around my waist and pulling me straight into his chest. My hands grip onto his shirt as I stumble forward. "But still beautiful." His lips capture mine but pull away quickly before I could respond. I pouted and pulled his lips back to mine.

When we pulled away and my eyes fluttered open I noticed that Brett was already looking down at me. "We should probably get going shouldn't we?" I asked him.

"Probably." He agreed and helped me up into the passenger seat. We spent the majority of the ride home belting out country songs, well at least the ones I knew, and enjoyed the rest of our alone time.

When I woke up the next morning I didn't remember ever falling asleep, in fact I never remembered even going to bed. I just remember Brett's mom forcing us to sit down at the dinner table, even though we had already ate, and didn't let us up until everyone was finished eating. Then the next thing I know, Sarah is shaking me awake and telling me that we were going to be late for the different things I had going on that morning.

We had hurried to get ready and slipped out the front door before anyone else was awake.

I spent the entire day answering questions after questions, but I couldn't focus on anything that was happening. All that was going through my mind was my uncle. I knew they needed me right now but I had a job to do, and part of that job meant putting on a smile in front of the cameras and answering their questions with a big smile on my face. No matter what, I had to keep smiling and answer the questions to the best I could.